• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want full custody of my son.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xxicemanxx77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama. However, the mother lives in Tennessee, and my son is living in Georgia.
I was never put on the birth certificate. Soon after my son was born (almost 7 years ago) she moved to Georgia with him and her other son. I have only seen him once since then. It was for a few minutes at Christmas in 2006. She keeps telling me that we can meet up soon so I can, but it never happens. She remarried in Georgia, had 2 more kids with him, then they divorced. She has currently moved back to Tennessee, and left her kids with her ex-husbands mother. I have heard that the ex-mother in law has had to take 2 of the kids to the er on 2 separate occasions because they took prescription medication. I know 1 of those times are true, because she told me. I'm not sure about the other time. I am currently married (6 years) and have 2 other children and recently passed my hvac certification exam. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get a court ordered paternity test, and what my chances are of getting full custody.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mommyof4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama. However, the mother lives in Tennessee, and my son is living in Georgia.
I was never put on the birth certificate. Soon after my son was born (almost 7 years ago) she moved to Georgia with him and her other son. I have only seen him once since then. It was for a few minutes at Christmas in 2006. She keeps telling me that we can meet up soon so I can, but it never happens. She remarried in Georgia, had 2 more kids with him, then they divorced. She has currently moved back to Tennessee, and left her kids with her ex-husbands mother. I have heard that the ex-mother in law has had to take 2 of the kids to the er on 2 separate occasions because they took prescription medication. I know 1 of those times are true, because she told me. I'm not sure about the other time. I am currently married (6 years) and have 2 other children and recently passed my hvac certification exam. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get a court ordered paternity test, and what my chances are of getting full custody.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Unless you are leaving out vital information, you are not the legal father of this child. Your first step is going to be establishing legal paternity.

Edit: I obviously skipped the last couple of sentences in your post.

How long has the child been in GA? You will need to file in the county where the child is a legal resident.

Your marriage and your children really have no bearing on this situation.

Antigone*

You want full custody of a child that you've only seen once in six years:eek: Are you even legally this child's father? Do you support this child?

xxicemanxx77

My son is living in Georgia, the mother in Tennessee. He has lived in Georgia for 7 years. He was only 2 months old when she left with him. I have heard the she lost custody of all 4 of her children and thats why the ex-husbands mother has them. But that is nothing concrete. I do not know for sure. Since she has moved back to Tennessee, she will not talk to me at all.

mommyof4

You want full custody of a child that you've only seen once in six years:eek: Are you even legally this child's father? Do you support this child?
No, he's not the legal father. I skipped the last sentences AND got confused on all the states. OP is going to have quite the uphill climb on this one.

xxicemanxx77

Yes, I do. I am not on the birth certificate, and not even sure if he is mine. At first I was sending her child support (not court ordered obviously) to her mom in Tennessee, and then her mom was sending it to her in Georgia. She did not want me to know where she was living. But her mom moved without giving me the new address after 4 years. I have just recently gotten back in touch with her.

Antigone*

No, he's not the legal father. I skipped the last sentences AND got confused on all the states. OP is going to have quite the uphill climb on this one.
Then there is no getting custody of this child that is not legally his. I'd be hard pressed to find a judge that will give over custody to a legal stranger.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP doesn't even know if the kid was adopted by the hubby...yes, definitely an uphill battle.

xxicemanxx77

Sorry, I wasn't trying to get everyone confused on the states. I know it's going to be hard, but do you think I have a chance at all?

mommyof4

My son is living in Georgia, the mother in Tennessee. He has lived in Georgia for 7 years. He was only 2 months old when she left with him. I have heard the she lost custody of all 4 of her children and thats why the ex-husbands mother has them. But that is nothing concrete. I do not know for sure. Since she has moved back to Tennessee, she will not talk to me at all.
So, Mom left her son with her ex-mil 7 years ago and you are just NOW getting around to taking any action? Dude, your chances are slim to none for custody and Slim left town 6.9 years ago.

I don't even remember if GA has a SOL for establishing paternity. I'll have to look it up. If so, establishing paternity may not even be an option, much less custody.

xxicemanxx77

Then there is no getting custody of this child that is not legally his. I'd be hard pressed to find a judge that will give over custody to a legal stranger.
But if I had a paternity test to prove that he was mine would I still be considered a legal stranger? I understand that I'm going to have to prove paternity first.

xxicemanxx77

So, Mom left her son with her ex-mil 7 years ago and you are just NOW getting around to taking any action? Dude, your chances are slim to none for custody and Slim left town 6.9 years ago.

I don't even remember if GA has a SOL for establishing paternity. I'll have to look it up. If so, establishing paternity may not even be an option, much less custody.

No, she left them with he ex- mil about 6 months ago.

mommyof4

But if I had a paternity test to prove that he was mine would I still be considered a legal stranger? I understand that I'm going to have to prove paternity first.
IF you can establish paternity, no you won't be a legal stranger. However, that won't help your custody chances. The child has no idea who you are. It would not be in the child's best interest to uproot him from everybody and everything he knows to force him to live with a strange man and that man's family in a foreign environment.

xxicemanxx77

IF you can establish paternity, no you won't be a legal stranger. However, that won't help your custody chances. The child has no idea who you are. It would not be in the child's best interest to uproot him from everybody and everything he knows to force him to live with a strange man and that man's family in a foreign environment.
What about visitation rights then?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">