• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want her to bring my son back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimS123

What is the name of your state? Virginia.

I have been married six years and we have a three year old boy. Me and my wife were having problems and we informally seperated with no legal paperwork over a year ago. After about a month she said she just needed a temporary seperation and needed to get away for a while and she said she would come back and we would either get back together or she would move into an apartment in our town. So in February of 2007 I let her take my son and move to Colorado where she had some friends and a good job waiting for her. It was suppose to be temporary until she got her head on straight as she put it.

We talked on the phone a lot and I flew out there at least one weekend a month sometimes two, and three times I spent a whole week out there with my son. I really did believe we were still a family and this was just a fase she was going through. Now she says she wants a divorce and she is staying in Colorado. She said since I let her go and take my son with her and its been so long that means I gave her permission to leave and there isn't nothing I can do about it now.

I just want my son back. Is she right or can I fight to make her bring him back?What is the name of your state?

CourtClerk

File for divorce and ask for visitation. She's right... you let her and the baby go for 14 months. She's established residency with the child in Colorado. You just let her become the custodial parent because you did nothing.

JimS123

I can't believe I let her sucker me like that and believed her. But if I was stupid enougth to gamble my relationship wtih my son on her promises I almost feel like I deserve what I got. I sure can't blame being gullable on anybody but myself.

I can't afford to keep flying out there to see my son so if she's not coming back to VA then I'm moving to Colorado so I can be his father and not just some guy that visits once in a while. Can I put in the custody papers that she can't move him away from me again without my permission or have I blown any authority I have byletting her be gone with him for so long?

Thanks for replying.

Isis1

I can't believe I let her sucker me like that and believed her. But if I was stupid enougth to gamble my relationship wtih my son on her promises I almost feel like I deserve what I got. I sure can't blame being gullable on anybody but myself.

I can't afford to keep flying out there to see my son so if she's not coming back to VA then I'm moving to Colorado so I can be his father and not just some guy that visits once in a while. Can I put in the custody papers that she can't move him away from me again without my permission or have I blown any authority I have byletting her be gone with him for so long?

Thanks for replying.
that has to be seiously the most grown up choice i think i have seen on this entire forum for the short length of time i have been here.

so move to colorado. file for visitation/custody/support out there in her jurisdiction. and make sure she can never move again without proper legal notification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">