• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to take a vacation..What should I do regarding his visitations with his father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MsJaneDoe167

Hi my name is Jesenia..I live in New York City. I have full custody of my child whom, I want to take a two month vacation with to south america. What do I have to do to make this dream come true. I've tried to come to some agreement with his father. But he doesn't want me to leave the country for fear that I might run away with my son and never return. He has visitations only on saturdays from 9am to 4 pm. I also have an order of protection against him. What can I do?? :mad:

G

GSTANLFIELD

You really have no choice but to make sure your child is available to be picked up for the father's visitations on Saturdays. Otherwise you are in contempt of court. The courts usually do not recognize "dream vacations" as a valid excuse to withhold scheduled visits.

Actually I have always been told by my lawyer to notify 30 days in advance of intended plans as the custodail parent you have the right to take children on vacation. It is not always possible ;not to overlap into visitation time but you as well as the children are allowed to vacation. Try to offer more time before you go on this extented trip as a peace offer and good faith effort.
Make the notice by certified mail and regular so you have record of notification. If you still feel a problem maybe have your lawyer generate it to him. But quite frankly the judge is not going to crucify you for vacation espcially if this is not a habit. The father will also appear unreasonalbe for his attitude about the whole thing if you make an effort.

S

smh33

A 30 day notice would only work if that is how it is spelled out in visit order and most qualify the advance notice is due, if parents agree. If there is nothing in the order that says cp can change visitation w/out ncp agreement, then the cp cannot. With Sat. visits, 2 months would equal atleast 8 missed visits and no court will condone or approve of that for simply reason of vacation.

G

GSTANLFIELD

I agree. If it were only one or two missed visits, it may not be an issue. But two months is a long time for a child to have no contact with their father. I would venture to say that eight missed visits would get you in trouble if he wanted to push the issue in court. Even with a certified letter, you would still need his approval in writing or you would clearly be in contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">