• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If fathers last name is not put on birth certificate because they are not married

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cath

Is it legal for my daughter to put her last name on babys birth certificate if she's not married and will this interfere with child support?:confused: Thanks

P

Pandy

I can only tell you what happens in Texas... You did not give much information as to the situation. When your daughter has the child, if the father is not there to sign the birth certificate, she can name baby anything she would like.

When your daughter decides to persue child support, DNA will most likely be requested. At that time, the father can petition the courts to have his name put on the birth certificate and have the last name of the child changed to his.

R

rubyroo22

She could always do what I did.....give the baby BOTH last names.

LegalBeagle

Pandy said:
I can only tell you what happens in Texas... You did not give much information as to the situation. When your daughter has the child, if the father is not there to sign the birth certificate, she can name baby anything she would like.

When your daughter decides to persue child support, DNA will most likely be requested. At that time, the father can petition the courts to have his name put on the birth certificate and have the last name of the child changed to his.
Spot on..

D

D&Mmom

i can tell you that in pennsylvania if the mother doesn't put the fathers name on the birth certificate, and they go to court for support she will get child support. they will do dna only if he says the child isn't his. he might also have to pay to have his name put on.

In NJ I can tell you from experience that the hospital only cares about the mothers name and insurance and her info ,they don't really care about any infor about father. I gave my daughter my last name his is on the birth certifacte. I was told you can name the child anything you want,yes he can take you to court and petion to have his name put as the last but it is unlikely it will happen becuase you are not married and not legally bound to put his last name for the child. I have found it much easier to have my daughter with my last name. As for child support if you decide to go that route which quite frankly don't if you can avoid it the father will either be asked if he acknowledges that this is his child or a DNA will be ordere to prove it. Again form experience yes it is a tough road with out the extra income but in the long run not having the interferince with having to deal with an unreasonable person was well worth it. Once you involve the courts and support you open up a can of worms for support and visitation etc. I wish my ex boyfriend had thought about that before he dragged us into court,because now he has to pay support and he has lost vistitaion becuase he is such an unreasonalbe person,the courts removed all of his vistition and will have him contributing more for support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">