• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL law and leaving state for vacation travel and one trivial question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

texgirl

What is the name of your state? IL

My divorce and about 10 years of post-divorce matters were in Texas. In May, my case was moved to Illinois. In Texas, unless there were specific restrictions in your order, it was ok to travel domestically. I've been told that in IL, unless there is permission to go out of state with the kids, it is not allowed. Does anyone know if the latter is accurate? Both ex and I have traveled with our daughter, admittedly I do it more. If this is accurate, is it possible to request something like " travel within the U.S. is permitted, with prior notice to the other parent"?

Also, I have a trivial question. When my daughter goes for summer vacation, I send a weeks' worth of clothing, mostly shorts and capris and t-shirts, with one skirt or two, along with a bathing suit, sandles, and tennis shoes. Today I got a specific request to send someting appropriate for a formal wedding. I am happy to send the most formal summer wear my daughter has, but alas it is a cotton skirt from old navy. Am I required to buy something at ex's request? She has no need for a summer party dress in my home, since the bulk of the summer is spent with her dad.

Thanks!

fairisfair

My divorce and about 10 years of post-divorce matters were in Texas. In May, my case was moved to Illinois. In Texas, unless there were specific restrictions in your order, it was ok to travel domestically. I've been told that in IL, unless there is permission to go out of state with the kids, it is not allowed. Does anyone know if the latter is accurate? Both ex and I have traveled with our daughter, admittedly I do it more. If this is accurate, is it possible to request something like " travel within the U.S. is permitted, with prior notice to the other parent"?

Also, I have a trivial question. When my daughter goes for summer vacation, I send a weeks' worth of clothing, mostly shorts and capris and t-shirts, with one skirt or two, along with a bathing suit, sandles, and tennis shoes. Today I got a specific request to send someting appropriate for a formal wedding. I am happy to send the most formal summer wear my daughter has, but alas it is a cotton skirt from old navy. Am I required to buy something at ex's request? She has no need for a summer party dress in my home, since the bulk of the summer is spent with her dad.

Thanks!

As for the dress. Tell Dad to take her shopping when she gets there, that she doesn't really have anything appropriate, and that you are sure he will be much happier helping her to choose the dress.

seeking IL Statute regarding travel.

fairisfair

have a nice trip.;);)

(750 ILCS 5/609)
Sec. 609. Leave to Remove Children.

(a) The court may grant leave, BEFORE OR AFTER JUDGMENT, to any party having custody of any minor child or children to remove such child or children from Illinois whenever such approval is in the best interests of such child or children. The burden of proving that such removal is in the best interests of such child or children is on the party seeking the removal. When such removal is permitted, the court may require the party removing such child or children from Illinois to give reasonable security guaranteeing the return of such children.

(b) Before a minor child is temporarily removed from Illinois, the parent responsible for the removal shall inform the other parent, or the other parent's attorney, of the address and telephone number where the child may be reached during the period of temporary removal, and the date on which the child shall return to Illinois.

casa

Thanks!
It's extremely rare for a Court to limit a parent's ability to travel with their child within the US...Out of the Country? Yes. But within the US? Unlikely, at best.

I agree with fair~ Let Dad know you were not aware she'd be in a wedding and since it's occurring with his family/friends, it would be nice if HE took her shopping for the dress so it's 'appropriate' for the selected theme/event. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">