• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IL, Middle name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davalek

State: IL
When our son was 3 weeks old, my husband left us. (Ever since he has been coming home for like a month then again leaving for 4-5 or 6 months.)
Since I was very mad at him leaving his baby just like that and moving out, I went to the city hall (when my son was a couple of months old) and changed my sons middle name which was the same as my husbands first name, to my last name.
I was able to do this legally, since I did it when the baby was so very young. I did not notify my husband at that time but he is still mad at me, threatening to punish me. He is very verbally abusive both to me and my son (now 2 1/2 years old) so that I'm now planning on getting a divorce.
I had never wanted my son to have his father's first name as his middle name in the first place, and we had discussed this before the baby was born. But my husband pressured me into it and now he doesn't even want to be a father to his son.
Question: Can I get into trouble for having changed my sons middle name legally?

Ambr

if you legally changed his name and it was allowed, i would think no. there is nothing that he can do about it.

although - an article that i was reading on PAS lists changing the name of the child as a form of PAS. not to mention the fact, you openly stated that you were mad and did it basically out of spite.

if i copied it right, here is the link.

http://prairielaw.com/articles/article.asp?articleid=1558&channelId=18

just to give you a heads up.

[Edited by Ambr on 04-10-2001 at 11:32 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">