• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal for Children sharing bedrooms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JanetTat2Vixon6

What is the name of your state? ny

My ex is mad because I gained sole custody of the children
in court last week and reported me to CPS for inadequate
living conditions - due to the fact that the children share
a bedroom, but have bunkbeds (boy 6 & girl 9). He was
ordered supervised visits only and only gets them every
other unday 9-6 - he's not happy about this either. I have
two orders of protection, one includes the childen (not to
endanger their welfare or see them outside of supervised
visits), he is alos not supposed to talk about me to the
children, however, when they went for their first visit in
about 4 months, he did ask them several questions regarding
myself and my boyfriend which upsets my daughter greatly
because he will keep pressing the issue until she answeres
him. He also sent my daughter home with a picture of
himself (printed from his PC) - but this picture was
clearly not for her, it was very intimidating with him
showing his new tattoo's with a very mean look on his
face. He als stated to the children that I was trying to
put him in jail for life. Are these actions breaking the
order of protection since it states no harrassing contact
(re: picture), and not to endanger the welfare of the
children (re:statements about jail, as well as questionning
them about me). CPS is coming over Friday to check out my
home - I have done everything the courts told me to do, he
has done nothing the asked and CPS was at our trial to
comments on his terrible behavior and inadequate
guardianship with the children when they were there
visiting. What should I do?????

ellencee

JanetTat2Vixon6
Surely you were asked in court about your living arrangements. What did you tell the court?

As for the rest of it, tell it to CPS on Friday. It seems they are already involved in this matter with the father and his behavior; therefore, it would be appropriate to talk to them about it.

EC

dakoto70

I think

"Ohio"
I was told that the age of seperation (opposite sex sleeping in same room) was 9. My son is older than my daughter but I was also a single mom and living in an apartment and when I went to go rent it (two bedroom) I was told that the children could not share the same room and I said that was fine with me because I was going to share the room with my daughter and my son was going to get his own room anyway. They informed me that this was actually a law and I don't know if it is or not because I had no need to question it.

I would also report any and all things he does, he is in violation of the orders. Make sure you keep a log of all the things that are done and said. It may not be admissable in court but it may show a pattern.

JanetTat2Vixon6

Well, actually CPS did not have to ask me much of anything (or the court) in regards to my living situation. He had been indicated back in a January investigation and when he saw the CPS worker at our trial there to testify on my behalf he agreed to everything I wanted, though he does not plan on following thru with the classes.

Since I have nothing to hide I said they could come over when they toldme they "had" to, but after all the research I've been doing everyong keeps telling me not to let them in, but it is not a physical abuse case or anything like that, it is not even neglect, so do you all think I should agree to let them in or not?

C

coosi

Since I have nothing to hide I said they could come over when they toldme they "had" to, but after all the research I've been doing everyong keeps telling me not to let them in, but it is not a physical abuse case or anything like that, it is not even neglect, so do you all think I should agree to let them in or not?

http://www.cpswatch.com/

FYI

dakoto70

im dense

Hello coosi. I wanted to check out this website as well but don't know were to look when I get there. Do I just browse around or is there a specific place that I should be going to?

Thanks

BL

Does the Orders also State Not to talk Derogatorily about the other Parent or members of the household during visitation , or talk about AT ALL ?

Keep a log : Month ,Date, what your child told you ( yes it is evidence , as the child is the subject of the case - not hearsay ).

This I know from a case I helped prepare and a court ruling in NY.

And yes they are violations, and if you keep Petitioning the court , they still get visits - promise not to again , then you refile enough times the court will get tired of it and limit the contact further, possibly through a therapist .

As far as CPS, let them in : They will give you recommendations you have to adhere to , if the sleeping arrangements are illegal.

An 8 year old or 9 could certainly sleep on the living room couch temporarily until you could find a 3 bedroom. I believe the law is so many square ft. per person in a dwelling .

JanetTat2Vixon6

Since we just went to court last week I haven't received the order, but it is supposed to state no "derogatory" statements. And he does not pay child support - he is ordered to pay 1/2 of day care and medical bills but never does and we have a court date for a violation for that. I don't want the courts to think I am dragging him in for no reasons, but I can't let him get away with it anymore - especially seeing as he has broken every single order the judge has put into place, and now this one!

I take it I should go file the violation tomorrow? Would it be based on the order or protection, the visitation order or actually both?

BL

I wouldn't file a violation of the court order for Derogatory statements just yet . Keep records though . The court might not like it so soon , especially you haven't received a copy yet.

Give it a month or 2 since he has limited visits w/ the visitation aspect. Meanwhile tell CPS what's going on. They more than likely will help you . You can work w/ them in the meantime,.

If he is violating the restraining order defiantly file a violation. I don't know if a sent home pic. would be a violation though , but if something defiantly falls under violation of restraining, do not hesitate.

Slow down, take a deep breath, and be logical not emotional , if you can. Court orders are based on facts & laws not Emotions .

If he has had bad experience with them, it will help your cause.

Go ahead with the Child Support violation .

Last edited:
C

coosi

Hello coosi. I wanted to check out this website as well but don't know were to look when I get there. Do I just browse around or is there a specific place that I should be going to?

Thanks

Dakota

Depends on what you're looking for. I thought Janet might just want to have an idea of some of the complaints/situations involving CPS and getting custody of kids.

They have lots of info about getting kids back and support also.

And here's the link to the old site and legal forms

http://www.cpswatch.com/oldsite/

dakoto70

Thank you

Thank you very much. I just like reading and wanted to go check out this site to see what it had to say about CPS.

Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">