• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Increased child support/tuition obligation for husbands child based on my income

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

djg65

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My husband's daughter will turn 18 in October but lives with her mother in Texas (which she did not receive court permission to move). And we have had to go without the agreed upon visitation stipulated in their divorse papers and when she does visit we have had to pay for her to fly back. Can we require visitation at her expense with child turning 18 but still in high school? She now wants child support through June which is when the child graduates from high school. I understand that in Illinois we are obligated to pay this. However, in addition she now wants us to pay for college expences (directly to her). Illinois (which is where the divorce was filed) law, I believe, states we are obligated to pay this however, Texas where they have lived for 2 years does not. Are we still obligated and if so how much are we obligated to pay (%age)? Is it possible we may have to pay a larger percentage, because my income is substantially higher than hers or my husbands (the father). Can she touch my income or assets? How do I protect myself. I have heard that the Court may require us to pay a larger percentage due to my income because my husband can afford it since everything financially is done jointly. I want to make sure that she can not get more from my husband just because my income is higher than theirs. Any advise?

Last edited:

D

djg65

Visitation is to be every other weekend starting on Friday at 5:00 pm through Sunday at 5:00 pm and child support is stated "will be terminated on October 11, 2003."

VeronicaGia

She would have to go to court and get a judge to order further support. As it stands, support terminates next month. In other words, she can try to get him to pay longer, but that will be up to a judge.

If you have any joint accounts with your money in them, remove your money and start your own accounts. You are not under a court order, he is. Your income cannot be used except in extreme circumstances, and unless he is voluntarily unemployed or underemployed, you have nothing to worry about.

nextwife

Did he take ANY court action either to prevent the move or require her to move back, or at least address the change in visitation and the cost?

dakoto70

In October

when the order is up you need to petition the court to stop paying cs. Do not stop paying it on your own it has to be ordered that it stops and until your husband gets an order telling him to pay for college tel the mother to go take a hike and for her to pay college. If she was recieving cs than she should have been setting aside some of it for the college tuition anyway. I would not under any circumstances would I be handing over money unless it was court ordered for this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">