• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

infant custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

star30

What is the name of your state? montana

my daughter is 8 months old, her father has seen her only a few times and wasn't around during my pregnancy. it has been almost 2 months since he has seen her last and now all of a sudden he wants to have a parenting plan - which i think is a good idea. what are the laws when dealing with an infant?

T

TamiJ

If I am not mistakin ( and I might be LOL) you dont have to send a baby for overnight visits until they are 18 months.
I think it sometimes might depend on if you breastfeed too.
Or at least breastfeeding might be a factor considered, if he doesnt have regular visitation.

For example: why send a nursing 18 month old for an overnight visit,so as they cant nurse at all... when the father only see's the child every 3 months and doesnt attempt more.

If you dont breastfeed, and dont contest overnight visits, and you think he is going to be a good regular part of the childs life, I guess I see no reason for the baby not to go with its father a often as you all agree.

M

megmoncada

WITH MY STEP DAUGHTER IS WAS THREE TIMES A WEEK FOR THREE HOURS WITH BOTH MOM AND DAD WHEN SHE TURNED 1 IT WAS WITH ONLY DAD AND AT 18 MONTHS WE STARTED OVERNIGHTS SAT. MARNING TO SUN MORNING....hOPE IT HELPS

karma1

star30 said:
What is the name of your state? montana

my daughter is 8 months old, her father has seen her only a few times and wasn't around during my pregnancy. it has been almost 2 months since he has seen her last and now all of a sudden he wants to have a parenting plan - which i think is a good idea. what are the laws when dealing with an infant?
IN family court-if you and dad work out a parenting plan, and it becomes a court order, then that would be what all future decisions will be based on.
Has paternity been established? custody? child support? were you married, by chance?
the answer to these questions may help others to help you.

S

star30

we were never married, he is the father, there is a child support order in place. there are just issues that i know he is not mature enough to be a father. i want my daughter to know her father, and i don't want her to grow up feeling rejected. at this time in his life he is not ready to take on the responsibilty of being a parent. i do not want to put my daughter in a bad environment.
one of the issues is his sleeping habits - he does not wake up for fire alarms, he has violent tendencys in his sleep also. i don't mind him seeing her as long as he does not sleep when she is around, but i don't know how to address that issue in a parenting plan.

N

njmom

just to let you know....

My son was six months old when his daddy was granted overnight visitation. I believe there are a few others on here that had children younger than my son that had overnights. I know you have a concern about the sleeping arrangement, but my sons daddy is a sound sleeper, however, much like a mother, I am sure that the daddy has that instinct too

I am not so sure that the breastfeeding would be a major factor, since the breast milk could be pumped. Much like what a lot of women have to do, if they must return to work and the child goes to daycare.

Just a quick question........How has he proven that he is not a responsible daddy? Have you given him a chance to prove he isn't? Good luck!

I just know that if you start off on a bad note, it only gets worse. Eventually he is going to get visitation, so why not start out early and let the baby have a bond with the daddy too?

haiku

overnites at 4 months.....I am not from your state though..

you have 18 more years, it can be VERY hard or not, your choice....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">