• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interference with Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atom77

You're amazing! Thank you so much because I had no idea what my options were. You are great. Have a wonderful day!

I want to add something.

Obviously your parental time is very important. However, I agree with the others that said you should try some kind of compromise here.

If it is high school cheerleading, then yes, they practice all summer. Regional high school competitions are held in the summer...this year in our area it is the third week of July, then they are off until school begins. So they practice nearly every day when school lets out. There is a few weeks though after that, perhaps it is the same in this case. It is a big committment, but it also carries through the year. So not letting her do it all summer will almost certainly mean she doesn't get to do it the entire school year. It is not your daughter's fault that you live so far away and can't help facilitate the things that she wants to do. And apparently dad gives up "his" time all the time, or is willing to, to make sure your daughter can do this sport throughout the year. I know that it hurts thinking she won't be with you the whole time, but seriously, as they grow, they spend less and less time with us, right?

My oldest cheers high school. It is a terrible pain most of the time...we have to schedule the whole summer around it, and then there are games during the year constantly. But it keeps her with a good group of kids, she is required to get good grades, and she is so busy that she doesn't have time to get in trouble. Keep those things in mind when it is decided she can't do something like cheer that is a year long sport. She just made it for her second year and although I am dreading driving constantly, I give up my time with her ALL THE TIME to make sure she gets to do the things that are good for her, important to her.

I am also the parent of a truly exceptional 11 year old all star cheerleader that at this age is already at the highest competitive level, and can flip across an entire gym in the blink of an eye. A scholarship is highly likely. Sometimes decisions, like "it is only cheerleading", CAN affect something important later...like a scholarship. If your daughter isn't high school yet and this is all star, then it will affect the rest of the year, because most good gyms won't take kids after choreography...it is a danger to both the new athlete and those already on the team, as they aren't trained as well since they missed so much, and injuries are much more likely with untrained athletes.

I also want to point out, although there aren't many adult cheerleaders, I am familiar with all of the gyms in our area and many others in different states, and many have coaches and even owners that cheered throughout college and now have a career in the sport. Just last week you could watch the Worlds competition at Disney on ESPN...it is much more than the "rah rah" days of years past. Not all...my oldest kind of "rah rahs", lol.

Just some food for thought.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">