• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interrogatory questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carabob

What is the name of your state? mo

I just recieved an interrogatory form, and request for documents from my x, due to the fact I filed a motion to prevent relocation. She has filed a motion to allow relocation and increase childsupport.

I don't mind filling out the questions or providing paystubs and tax statements, but this is asking for copies of all savings, checkings, stocks, cd's, 401k policies, retirement policies, life insurance policies, and pension plans. It also wants me to provide all statements from any commercial source, which I'm taking to mean a copy of every monthly bill I recieve.

In Mo childsupport is figured upon mother and fathers gross income. None of the rest of this should apply to this case at all. We have been divorced over 10 years, I don't see how she has a legal right to this information. Do I legally have to provide her attorney with all of this information? Is there anyway I can refuse this information since it has no bearing on this case?

I'm not a lawyer, but my ex's lawyer requested the same kind of thing from me, including a general financial release of informetion. I didn't want to release EVERYTHING, for no reason other than they had no reason to need it, but I did sign the release at my lawyer's request.

Basically, he stated that it would be worse to NOT sign it, and them use THAT against me.

Oh, and they didn't use any of my financial info in court. They are probably just trying to get a rise out of you.

N

NoDiggety

carabob said:
What is the name of your state? mo

I just recieved an interrogatory form, and request for documents from my x, due to the fact I filed a motion to prevent relocation. She has filed a motion to allow relocation and increase childsupport.
Was it a modification for child support or did she actually file it as a Motion To Increase Child Support? If they are tying these together, make sure you point out to the Court that your ex is filing a modification only because you filed a motion to prevent relocation and this is retaliatory (you should look into case law...statutes).

I don't mind filling out the questions or providing paystubs and tax statements, but this is asking for copies of all savings, checkings, stocks, cd's, 401k policies, retirement policies, life insurance policies, and pension plans. It also wants me to provide all statements from any commercial source, which I'm taking to mean a copy of every monthly bill I recieve.
Object to the other documents as irrelevant and too much of a burden to produce in the time alloted.

In Mo childsupport is figured upon mother and fathers gross income. None of the rest of this should apply to this case at all. We have been divorced over 10 years, I don't see how she has a legal right to this information. Do I legally have to provide her attorney with all of this information? Is there anyway I can refuse this information since it has no bearing on this case?
No you dont' have to provide it (outside of tax forms and paystubs). Object to the others. Do you have an attorney?

carabob

She filed her motion to increase childsupport, and to have me pay for half of the childrens college room and board, tuition, books, and any and all other fees. The current CO doesn't have anything about college in it. The kids are only 13, 14 right now so college is still a few years away, but she's pissed, and of course sees this as an opportunity to get whatever she can. Since she is asking for the college expenses, can I still refused to provide her with all other documents besides paystubs and tax forms or will that change anything?

CJane

carabob said:
She filed her motion to increase childsupport, and to have me pay for half of the childrens college room and board, tuition, books, and any and all other fees. The current CO doesn't have anything about college in it. The kids are only 13, 14 right now so college is still a few years away, but she's pissed, and of course sees this as an opportunity to get whatever she can. Since she is asking for the college expenses, can I still refused to provide her with all other documents besides paystubs and tax forms or will that change anything?

You cannot simply refuse to provide anything. You CAN object to certain questions/demands on an interrogatory, but only under certain conditions and only properly. Personally? If they're begging to be flooded with paper... flood them.

She's not likely to succeed in receiving an order for you to pay a portion of college tuition or room and board or books, etc. You ARE likely to be ordered to continue child support until each child is 22 (I think) IF they attend college full time.

LdiJ

I think that you need to get an attorney....and let your attorney deal with these issues.

Mom's attorney is on a "fishing expedition" and having an attorney of your own is the best way to quash unreasonable demands.

N

NoDiggety

frcisafraud said:
Can either party do interogatories or just the petitioner?
Please stop hijacking threads with your legal queries. :rolleyes:

N

NoDiggety

carabob said:
She filed her motion to increase childsupport, and to have me pay for half of the childrens college room and board, tuition, books, and any and all other fees. The current CO doesn't have anything about college in it. The kids are only 13, 14 right now so college is still a few years away, but she's pissed, and of course sees this as an opportunity to get whatever she can.
The chances of her getting college are pretty slim. This is something that should have been addressed at the beginning...not years before they head to college. More reason why you need an attorney because they can address this better -- without the emotion -- that this is simply vindictive and can also provide case law to back up reasons to dismiss her motion. Plus, just because she's motioning for a modification is not a guarantee she'll get more.

Since she is asking for the college expenses, can I still refused to provide her with all other documents besides paystubs and tax forms or will that change anything?
You can't "refuse" to provide something. Alot of the stuff she's askign for you can object to as being too cumbersome to gather in the amount of time being provided AND irrelevant to the case at hand. You really do need an attorney to handle this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">