• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate Compact

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FedUpInOhio

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My wife and I gained full custody of my daughter from my ex back in Dec 04 in Indiana. We live in Ohio and travelled to Ft. Wayne, IN for court. At the time, I was told after court that even though I was granted full custody, we would have to wait a month or so for the interstate compact with Ohio to go through before I could bring her back to Ohio permanently.

That was 7 months ago, and they keep giving me the run around! The case managers continue changing in my daughters case and they never know what exactly is happening with it. Im getting to the boiling point here and am about ready to simply keep her here in Ohio (I get 2 week visits). What can they do? I have FULL CUSTODY! If anyone here has any advice, PLZ feel free to share. Im tired of having to hear her say "Daddy, I want to stay here with you" and theres nothing I can do but say "I know honey, soon, I promise". I am also paying close to 500 dollars a month in support and do not owe any arrearage, even though I supposedly have full custody.

And my daughter has been in foster care for well over a year, and her mother did not fight or even try to fight me in court. I did everything the court asked within a month, she did nothing the court asked at all in the whole year it took for me to finally gain custody.

If any one can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Zephyr

do you have a lawyer? you should at least consult with one, they probably know about all the red tape in this sort of situation....

FedUpInOhio

Thanks for the reply, and no, I dont have an attorney yet. I have spoken with a couple, but they need at least 2 grand up front, 2 grand I dont have. I think it is probably because its an interstate case and there will be traveling involved (6 hrs roundtrip). I havent needed an attorney yet, as CFS in Indiana were excellent towards my wife and I until after court, and now they are dragging their feet. They are still very cordial and apologetic about the whole situation, but the apologies are beginning to wear thin, if you know what I mean. I was curious if anyone else had experienced anything like this, and how they dealt with them.

But it looks more and more like ill be lawyer hunting (not like it sounds! :) )

FedUpInOhio

Does anyone think that writing a letter to the judge who presided on the case could help? Isnt this contempt or something? My wife (who was granted custody with me) continues to try and call cfs in Indiana to light a fire under them to get the paperwork done. She gets the run around as well. I dont get home from work until 5:30 or so at night, and by this time their offices are closed, so its rather tough for me to call. Or should I be patient for a little while longer?

LdiJ

FedUpInOhio said:
Does anyone think that writing a letter to the judge who presided on the case could help? Isnt this contempt or something? My wife (who was granted custody with me) continues to try and call cfs in Indiana to light a fire under them to get the paperwork done. She gets the run around as well. I dont get home from work until 5:30 or so at night, and by this time their offices are closed, so its rather tough for me to call. Or should I be patient for a little while longer?
I think 7 months is more than enough time for paperwork to be completed. I think that is why you need an attorney. If you simply can't hire one, then I would file a motion asking the judge to compel CPS to immediately release your child into your custody.

However I do feel strongly that you really need an attorney.

kidoday

Having dealt with Allen County Courts, get an attorney. I suggest Stephen Rothberg, or Dan Graly. Be prepared to pay a price, but either way it will definately be worth your time.

Good Luck.

FedUpInOhio

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the attorneys names kidoday. I have a phone book from Ft Wayne and will be contacting them both and see what they say.

Jethrine

I live in Indiana and deal with the interstate compact for juvenile delinquency, not for issues with child welfare. I work for the courts in Indiana and I think writing a letter to the judge in the case explaining your situation, i.e. that you have custody and can not take your daughter except for visits and this has been going on for months due to high turnover at whatever office is supposed to be handling this, would be the first step. It might resolve your dilemma as juvenile judges handle both child welfare and juvenile delinquency, and have the authority to hasten the process. Try that before you spend thousands of dollars on an attorney. I live in Bureaucracy so let me know if that works.

FedUpInOhio

Ohio

Well, I still have not got anywhere at all in my situation. The only things that have changed is that my ex may be losing all of her parental rights since she has made no efforts to comply with any of the judges rulings. Its as if she cannot be bothered with her kids enough to fight for them.

There will be another hearing in October, and I plan to let the judge know how much crud CPS has been putting my wife and I through. I tried contacting the above attorneys, but of course they want at least 2 grand up front *sigh*.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">