• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Iowa law regardging mother signing over her paarental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tvickery

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa
I am trying to get the mother of my three children to sign over her rights as a parent, i do have full sole custody. My question is how i can mom to sign over her parental rights. I have looked up child abandonment but not quite sure what that requires.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am trying to get the mother of my three children to sign over her rights as a parent, i do have full sole custody. My question is how i can mom to sign over her parental rights. I have looked up child abandonment but not quite sure what that requires.
To what end? What do you hope to accomplish?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
You don't.

Mom is free to never see the children, but only a court will terminate her parental rights and there are very strict criteria to be met; a stepparent adoption is usually required outside of obvious abuse and/or neglect.

adjusterjack

You cannot compel her to sign over her rights.

Only a court of law can involuntarily remove parental rights.

Even if she has abandoned the children, it will still take a court to sever her parental rights.

Isn't that you have full custody enough?

Or do you want to grind her into the dirt for some reason?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You don't.

Mom is free to never see the children, but only a court will terminate her parental rights and there are very strict criteria to be met; a stepparent adoption is usually required outside of obvious abuse and/or neglect.
And abuse and neglect requires the state stepping and attempting to terminate your rights as well NORMALLY.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">