• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Corp / Still Pay Support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Goldprospector

What is the name of your state? NC

My son turned 17 on 10/23, I have not seen him in 4 years due to other issues. He quit School at age 16 and his Mother put him in "Job Corp" . He called my Parents home on 11/02 and said that he now has his Diploma and is going to work as a carpenter. He has told my parents that his mother said to keep this a secret because if I found out, "I would not have to pay support and she really needed it."
My Son has live with her mother for the last 4 years.

Anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks in advance.
Dean

G

Goldprospector

The order Says until age 18...but I have found out that if he has emanciated (sp?) himself and is no longer under the care of his mother then I won't have to pay. I goota find out more info I guess.

G

Goldprospector

Well, I did find out that he had recieved Gov. benifits to attend Job corp and that his mother was not supporting or in any way finacially obligated to "Job Corp". So that "would have" meant that I could stop paying support...according to a late nite call from an attorney. But just a few minutes ago, I found out that he was Terminated (expelled) from Job corp for not conforming to the rules. I could not find out why or what rules...just that he had been terminated. So I guess I will just keep on paying for 49 more weeks. I have been paying for 16 yrs and 3 months and never missed a payment, so what will 11 more months hurt, huh?

Thanks for the help.

M

mkashmommy

Just a suggestion to you. First I admire you for paying your child support but I believe that if you havent modified your child support in the last 3 years you can have it reviewed and if you can prove that he hasnt been living with his mother whom you pay support to then the dcse can end the order for child support. I believe that is how it works.

Grace_Adler

That's true and from the best I can interpret the CSE manual and law, it says that if a child is failing or drops out of school, you can petition the court to have support terminated.

dequeendistress

Agreed petition the court for termination of support...just keep in mind that when children enter the system of foster care the parent still pays support it goes to the state instead of the custodial parent.

As a parent you still have the obligation to the child. Emancipation would declare the child self sufficient hence support would end as though the child had attained the age of 18

Best of luck!!!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">