• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job out of country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bear1968

state: Iowa
I have a several job opportunity outside of the US, in Australia and Canada. Will I still be expected to pay child support? Can I legally be required to pay if I work outside the US? What if I became a citizen of that country, could they legally take money from my paycheck?

LegalBeagle

bear1968 said:
state: Iowa
I have a several job opportunity outside of the US, in Australia and Canada. Will I still be expected to pay child support? Can I legally be required to pay if I work outside the US? What if I became a citizen of that country, could they legally take money from my paycheck?
Generally no, but it depends on which country you move to. Once you leave the country and stop paying CS the arrears will mount up and after a certain time frame a federal warrant will be placed on you. Then, the very moment you set foot back in the US, it will be a very long time before you ever leave again.

Personally, it would be an incrediable scummy thing to do to abandon your children and stop sending the CP money.

B

bear1968

I feel you should keep your opions to yourself until you know the whole situation. I was never married to this women, she has 4 children, only 1 is mine, the other 3 are from 3 different fathers and I would bet she is getting support from them also. I do not have a problem supporting my daughter, I know the support I send now is not all going to her, and my support is about to double. The new support will be allmost be twice what the mother says she earns in one month. So I do not think I am the scummy one here. I would rather you answer my question from 3-5 about calculating child support. thanks,

L

lindsayilene

Sorry, I just can't keep my mouth shut on this one...
How does the fact that she has 4 children from 4 different fathers justify you wanting to leave the country and stop paying child support. The child is yours too.
Also, how is she any scummier than the 4 men that chose to sleep with her?
Women in her situation are always scorned as being whores. If men could give birth maybe that attitude would change.
Obviously she is giving good care to all of her children or she would not have them.

J

JasperT

Lindsayilene I agree
It is pretty sad the lengths that some men will go through too not help pay for something they helped create in the first place. He obviously doesn't get it.

B

bear1968

The fact that she has moved around more than an escaped convict, the fact that she lied to me about being on the pill, and I know one of the other fathers and she had told him the same. My sister has seen the mother out buying beer when my daughter needs new clothes or shoes. She has had her kids taken away several times. She even offered to let my daughter live with me, and after I got day care and schools lined up she changed her mine. And there was a period of over a year that every time I saw my daughter or she went to see my parents she had to be treated for head lice. Her clothes are allways filthy. And I did not say I was going to skip the country so I would not have to pay my support I was just asking how it worked legally. So again I am doing my part, so remember to be considerate.

L

lindsayilene

bear1968 said:
The fact that she has moved around more than an escaped convict, the fact that she lied to me about being on the pill, and I know one of the other fathers and she had told him the same. My sister has seen the mother out buying beer when my daughter needs new clothes or shoes. She has had her kids taken away several times. She even offered to let my daughter live with me, and after I got day care and schools lined up she changed her mine. And there was a period of over a year that every time I saw my daughter or she went to see my parents she had to be treated for head lice. Her clothes are allways filthy. And I did not say I was going to skip the country so I would not have to pay my support I was just asking how it worked legally. So again I am doing my part, so remember to be considerate.
If it is this bad than why have you not gone for custody?

B

bear1968

I have looked into it. I was told I need to establish a period of time of regulary seeing my daughter. As I mentioned before the mother moves around alot, and she doesn't tell anyone she has moved. When she has a phone it doesn't stay connected for long. She probable doen't pay the bill. So if I can't establish no lawyer would take my case. I haven't seen or heard from my daughter since Christmas.

L

lindsayilene

bear1968 said:
I have looked into it. I was told I need to establish a period of time of regulary seeing my daughter. As I mentioned before the mother moves around alot, and she doesn't tell anyone she has moved. When she has a phone it doesn't stay connected for long. She probable doen't pay the bill. So if I can't establish no lawyer would take my case. I haven't seen or heard from my daughter since Christmas.
Is there a visitation order in place. Has the mother been ordered to notify you of new addresses and phone #'s?

B

bear1968

No visitation order in place, and as far as I know she does not have to notify me of her new address or phone number.

LegalBeagle

bear1968 said:
I feel you should keep your opions to yourself until you know the whole situation. I was never married to this women, she has 4 children, only 1 is mine, the other 3 are from 3 different fathers and I would bet she is getting support from them also. I do not have a problem supporting my daughter, I know the support I send now is not all going to her, and my support is about to double. The new support will be allmost be twice what the mother says she earns in one month. So I do not think I am the scummy one here. I would rather you answer my question from 3-5 about calculating child support. thanks,
You have lots of problems and need lots of help. Most of your comments so far have been wrong and you are able to do something about them.. I am sure one of the experts will jump in and help ..

B

bear1968

I have not got one shred of good adive from this whole mess. I asked a simple question and what do I get? People calling me scum and telling me I need help. I give up...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">