• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Custody - Medical Decisions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amarita77

What is the name of your state? OH

My ex and I have just recently divorced and agreed on joint custody (6/6/8). Already, it is a headache. I have a question about medical decisions.

Several years ago, we had taken our middle son (now 10) to a counselor who worked with a psychologist. He went for several months. The psychologist diagnosed him with ADHD and put him on concerta. Neither my ex nor I really felt he was ADHD but tried to work with the counselor and psychologist. Eventually, we quit taking our son there.

At the beginning of this year, we started taking him to a wonderful counselor. She agrees with us that he doesn't have ADHD and probably does have Asperger's. Our son was making great progress with this counselor and no medication. When my ex took the kids, I had made appts for the other two to see the same counselor just so they would have someone to talk to. My ex canceled the appts and put them all back into counseling with the same people we didn't agree with the first time.

I told my ex last week that I was going to take our middle son back to his regular counselor. Tonight, my ex says the kids aren't allowed to go to any counselors unless we agree on it. I have several concerns with this. #1. My middle son has been begging to go back to his regular counselor ever since this started in the end of March. #2. I will never agree to my kids going to the county mental health dept because we've already had bad experiences with them just wanting to medicate our son.

It's not like I'm trying to take the kids to some weird, uncertified person. I'm taking them to a very experienced counselor who my son is already comfortable with. Obviously, the kids can't go to both places. That wouldn't be good for them. Plus, I'm sure the insurance wouldn't pay for two places.

Am I allowed to take my kids to the counselor of not only my choice but also their choice?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? OH

My ex and I have just recently divorced and agreed on joint custody (6/6/8). Already, it is a headache. I have a question about medical decisions.

Several years ago, we had taken our middle son (now 10) to a counselor who worked with a psychologist. He went for several months. The psychologist diagnosed him with ADHD and put him on concerta. Neither my ex nor I really felt he was ADHD but tried to work with the counselor and psychologist. Eventually, we quit taking our son there.

At the beginning of this year, we started taking him to a wonderful counselor. She agrees with us that he doesn't have ADHD and probably does have Asperger's. Our son was making great progress with this counselor and no medication. When my ex took the kids, I had made appts for the other two to see the same counselor just so they would have someone to talk to. My ex canceled the appts and put them all back into counseling with the same people we didn't agree with the first time.

I told my ex last week that I was going to take our middle son back to his regular counselor. Tonight, my ex says the kids aren't allowed to go to any counselors unless we agree on it. I have several concerns with this. #1. My middle son has been begging to go back to his regular counselor ever since this started in the end of March. #2. I will never agree to my kids going to the county mental health dept because we've already had bad experiences with them just wanting to medicate our son.

It's not like I'm trying to take the kids to some weird, uncertified person. I'm taking them to a very experienced counselor who my son is already comfortable with. Obviously, the kids can't go to both places. That wouldn't be good for them. Plus, I'm sure the insurance wouldn't pay for two places.

Am I allowed to take my kids to the counselor of not only my choice but also their choice?
The reality of things is that if the two of you don't agree on something important, like counseling, your only option is to take it back to court and let the judge decide.

Joint custody means that the two of you have to agree about those kinds of major decisions.

amarita77

Unfortunately, that's what I thought. I thought I was doing the right thing by getting it done and over with. I thought if I gave him what he wanted (no child support, none of his settlement, etc) that he would finally do things right. Obviously, I was wrong. I have until Friday to appeal the decision.

Fortunately, after the decision was made, he decided he wanted to go back to the old order and called the cops on me for not following it. I think that will be helpful to me. That proves he is going to do whatever he feels like doing without caring about the kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">