• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Custody-primary residential custody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meredith36

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I have joint legal custody with my ex, but the distinction was made that I have primary residental custody (terminology might be off a bit).

- What does this mean (if anything) from a legal perspective?
- Does it have anything to do with 'custodial parent'?

I've looked for a distinction, but can't find anything.

CJane

Joint legal usually means that you need to consult with him and come to an agreement about things like school and major medical decisions and religion.

Primary physical means that the child lives with you most of the time and lives with dad a shorter amount of time.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I have joint legal custody with my ex, but the distinction was made that I have primary residental custody (terminology might be off a bit).

- What does this mean (if anything) from a legal perspective?
- Does it have anything to do with 'custodial parent'?

I've looked for a distinction, but can't find anything.
What that means is that legally, the child primarily lives with you. That has impact on tax issues, and impact on what school district the child attends. It also has great impact on whether or not the other parent can attempt to move away and take the child with them...basically they cannot.

The parent with primary residential custody tends to be termed as the "custodial parent".

However joint legal custody means that the two of you have equal say legally, over the major issues in your children's lives, and autonomy over ordinary day to day decisions when the children are in your care.

If you explain what is actually going on with you, you would probably get better answers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">