• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint custody or Sole custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jackh4

i am in wisconsin and going through a divorce. if we agree to joint custody will i still recieve child support since our child will reside with me or should i just go for sole custody?

S

steph262001

I got divorced six years ago. Me and my husband settled on joint custody. For six years we have shared responsibilities equally, he had to provide insurance for her and also pay the child care. Now he recently remarried and has filed for full custody. I can not afford a lawyer and will have to go to trial without one. Of course, he is rich and can afford the best attorneys. So please don't settle on joint custody. It will only cause you heart-break later down the road.

Ambr

what form of joint custody?

if you are talking joint physical custody - that would be were mom and dad split the time with the child 50/50. depending on the age of the child this may or may not work. one parent usually has the legal address of the child - to establish the school district the child will attend. in a personal view - joint physical can't work unless mom and dad live on the same street basically. although this seems like a dream for the parents, they spend large amount of time with the child. it is hard on the child, they don't really have an established home because they jump back and forth between mom and dad's house.

then there is joint legal custody. in most cases, the children will reside with one parent and have the standard every other weekend and rotating holidays with the other parent. both parents are suppose to discuss the decisions concerning the children. they are suppose to "parent" together.

i have seen support ordered in joint physical cases before. my brother had a support order for 250 a month for two kids, with split custody. it was suppose to balance the income of the household and ensure that the kids receive everything they would have if the parents would have stayed together.

it is rather hard to get "sole" custody of the child. especially if the other parent has had an active role in the life of the child up until now. now if the other parent just disappeared from the scene and has had not involvement whatsoever, it will be easy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">