• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction- Interstate case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sarah9901

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas/Ohio, possibly Illinois

My ex husband and I divorced in 2004. We lived in Kansas at the time I filed for divorce. During the divorce he moved to Ohio. The divorce was finalized in November 2004. At that time I was paying nothing for daycare or insurance (I decided to provide health insurance its in the order). After a few months daycare went up considerably from 0 to 250 a month and my health insurance was no longer provided free of charge from my job (was still low at 100 a month for the family plan). I contacted a lawyer in Dec of 2006 and the court date was January of 2007. In the motion I was petitioning for a raise in child support and to have supervised visitation. He had not seen the kids in 2 years and phone calls came once every month or two. I was concerned the kids didn't know him well enough for extended visits and was also concerned that he wasn't taking his medication for his bipolar. He was very abusive (physical and emotional) to me while we were married and he wasn't on his medication.

He never showed up to court, so a journal entry was made, granting me all I was going for. After that he didn't call the kids for almost a year. November of 2007 was the last child support payment I received, except for income tax return garnishments. Every piece of mail that I send him is returned. He refuses to give me his address, just tells me to mail everything to his grandfathers. Of course grandfather sends certified letters back, and I always send anything to him certified, so I have proof he received it.

After my court date, Kansas contacted Ohio to start the interstate case. Ohio took my ex to court and raised his payments to include some back support to get him caught up but he still hasn't paid anything. He is currently over $11,000.00 behind.

In June 2008 the kids and I moved to Illinois with my fiancee, Ben. The move was mainly to be closer to family. Ben's family lives here by us and the kids' and my family live in Ohio only 6 hours away. The first thing I did when we moved to Illinois was to contact Ohio and Kansas to update information. Kansas at that time told me I did not have to transfer my case to Illinois since it started in Kansas, I will always have to go back to Kansas for any visitation or support related cases. Ohio told me the same thing.

This past Monday, I saw on the Ohio clerk of courts website there is a case pending between myself and my ex husband. I never received any information, and so I was concerned and curious. I called Kansas to find out what was going on since I was told to never contact Ohio with any questions. Kansas then told me I needed to contact Ohio and ask for a direct application or contact Illinois and get them on the case, since it is illegal for Kansas to enforce the case. My caseworker told me that since I moved and my ex didn't, Ohio is now the non moving state. Every thing must now go through Ohio including anything about visitation.

I called Ohio asking for a direct application, since I figured it would just be easier to have Ohio fully on it, if I had to do all case work there. When I called Ohio, my caseworker told me I needed to talk to my Kansas caseworkers supervisor because what she told me wasn't true. That I will always have to go through Kansas.

At this point I was completely confused and frankly a little frustrated. I called Kansas back and was told by the customer rep. that my caseworker was wrong. That she had never heard of Kansas being taken off the case even after a move.

My ex is also saying that its now an Ohio thing and he can file to change visitation in Ohio. I have been told so many different things, my head is spinning.

This is what I do know:

There is a court date for May 15 for a motion to show cause with my ex being summoned to appear.

I need to get a lawyer (however I am unsure if I need a Kansas, Ohio or Illinois one)

I hope he files for a change of visitation, he can prove he is doing well and is on his meds or taking care of the bipolarism, and follows through with visiting the kids.

Things I don't know and need any and all advice on:

Which state do court proceedings go through Ohio Kansas or Illinois(now the home state of the kids)?

What is a "motion to show cause" and what will happen at the upcoming court date?

Any and all advice will be welcome and I hope someone here can shed some light on this for me. I am sorry this post was so long and thank you for reading!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Under UCCJEA ILLINOIS is the case with jurisdiction since that is where the CHILDREN live (and have for at least six months) and neither party lives in the original state. File a motion to dismiss and cite UCCJEA.

You need an attorney in OHIO to fight this for you. A motion to show cause means that you need to explain to the court why you have not followed the court order. You need to get a copy of the paperwork. What county is this in?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Following what OhioGal stated, Ohio will probably ENFORCE an order because that is where dad lives. But as for custody issues, it will have to be Illinois. OG - she needs an attorney in Illinois to transfer the case to Illinois, right?

Oh - and don't take legal advice from your X.

Sarah9901

It is through Cuyahoga County in Ohio. The motion to show cause is against him. He has now sent numerous emails to me saying why he is so excited for this court date and how he is going to use this date to change the visitation. The court date is like I said motion to show cause for child support. I know he can not use this court date to bring up new stuff, he will have to get another court date.

Each time I reply to his emails with the answers he asked me, I get another email saying I am harassing him and that I am arguing with him and raising his blood pressure. I have been very careful with what I say in the emails and just state the facts. After 3 emails, I stopped responding and while I slept (6 hours) there were 3 more emails waiting for me to read from him. I would love to be able to block his email unfortunately emails are the ONLY means of communication. He refuses to give me his phone number or address (which the court order says he is supposed to for his parenting time). He claims he doesn't get parenting time so he has no need to give me the numbers.

Now I know that I need an Illinois lawyer and an Ohio one. Thanks for some insight and advice.

LdiJ

It is through Cuyahoga County in Ohio. The motion to show cause is against him. He has now sent numerous emails to me saying why he is so excited for this court date and how he is going to use this date to change the visitation. The court date is like I said motion to show cause for child support. I know he can not use this court date to bring up new stuff, he will have to get another court date.

Each time I reply to his emails with the answers he asked me, I get another email saying I am harassing him and that I am arguing with him and raising his blood pressure. I have been very careful with what I say in the emails and just state the facts. After 3 emails, I stopped responding and while I slept (6 hours) there were 3 more emails waiting for me to read from him. I would love to be able to block his email unfortunately emails are the ONLY means of communication. He refuses to give me his phone number or address (which the court order says he is supposed to for his parenting time). He claims he doesn't get parenting time so he has no need to give me the numbers.

Now I know that I need an Illinois lawyer and an Ohio one. Thanks for some insight and advice.
If the show cause hearing is against him, then the Kansas CSE with the help of the Ohio CSE is the state that is trying to enforce the child support order by asking for a show cause.

However, IL would have jurisdiction of any custody or visitation matters regarding the children. So if he were to attempt to include any visitation matters in the hearing, you would need to object on the basis that the original orders came out of Kansas, and that IL now has jurisdiction of the custody and visitation matters as that is the state of the children's legal residence.

TinkerBelleLuvr

IF the X is thinking he can change visitation during a Show Cause hearing, he is in for a rude awakening. HE might be having visits where there are BARS. :D

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Following what OhioGal stated, Ohio will probably ENFORCE an order because that is where dad lives. But as for custody issues, it will have to be Illinois. OG - she needs an attorney in Illinois to transfer the case to Illinois, right?

Oh - and don't take legal advice from your X.
She needs an attorney in Cuyahoga County to deal with getting it dismissed. What judge is this in front of? Cuyahoga has been having SEVERE issues with its Domestic relations court. Then she needs to have the case transferred from Kansas to Illinois.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If the show cause hearing is against him, then the Kansas CSE with the help of the Ohio CSE is the state that is trying to enforce the child support order by asking for a show cause.

However, IL would have jurisdiction of any custody or visitation matters regarding the children. So if he were to attempt to include any visitation matters in the hearing, you would need to object on the basis that the original orders came out of Kansas, and that IL now has jurisdiction of the custody and visitation matters as that is the state of the children's legal residence.
Illinois has jurisdiction once mom transfers things. But if she filed in Ohio courts a motion to show cause then dad can counterpetition as mom has consented to jurisdiction being in Ohio. Having this filed in Cuyahoga courts by HER (on her behalf at least) shows that she consents to the case being heard in Ohio. And she consented to said jurisdiction. The issue is dad can file a counterclaim. She should have filed a motion to show cause in KANSAS.

LdiJ

Illinois has jurisdiction once mom transfers things. But if she filed in Ohio courts a motion to show cause then dad can counterpetition as mom has consented to jurisdiction being in Ohio. Having this filed in Cuyahoga courts by HER (on her behalf at least) shows that she consents to the case being heard in Ohio. And she consented to said jurisdiction. The issue is dad can file a counterclaim. She should have filed a motion to show cause in KANSAS.
Ohio handling the child support does not give Ohio jurisdiction for custody/visitation matters.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohio handling the child support does not give Ohio jurisdiction for custody/visitation matters.
Who the hell filed the case in Ohio and WHY? Please answer that. If mom filed in Ohio, mom consented to jurisdiction. If mom didn't file for contempt that is a different ball game but the facts as presented do NOT make sense. And it very well can give Ohio jurisdiction for custody/visitation matters -- I know due to cases I have where a parent wanted Ohio for child support and filed suit here and wanted to hold up custody. So it is possible. Whether it applies here I can't say because I dont' get who filed in Cuyahoga County for contempt and WHY in Cuyahoga -- it should have been filed in Kansas and be a Kansas case.

TinkerBelleLuvr

After my court date, Kansas contacted Ohio to start the interstate case. Ohio took my ex to court and raised his payments to include some back support to get him caught up but he still hasn't paid anything. He is currently over $11,000.00 behind.
Sounds like Ohio has the child support portion.

LdiJ

Who the hell filed the case in Ohio and WHY? Please answer that. If mom filed in Ohio, mom consented to jurisdiction. If mom didn't file for contempt that is a different ball game but the facts as presented do NOT make sense. And it very well can give Ohio jurisdiction for custody/visitation matters -- I know due to cases I have where a parent wanted Ohio for child support and filed suit here and wanted to hold up custody. So it is possible. Whether it applies here I can't say because I dont' get who filed in Cuyahoga County for contempt and WHY in Cuyahoga -- it should have been filed in Kansas and be a Kansas case.
The Kansas CSE did so, by asking for OH's help in CS enforcement. Mom didn't even know about the hearing until she saw it on the net. I have seen this happen alot. The originating state retains jursidiction but the other state assists with enforcement actions. This case is KS/OH vs dad. Not mom vs dad.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The Kansas CSE did so, by asking for OH's help in CS enforcement. Mom didn't even know about the hearing until she saw it on the net. I have seen this happen alot. The originating state retains jursidiction but the other state assists with enforcement actions. This case is KS/OH vs dad. Not mom vs dad.
Okay. That changes things. I got lost. I need chocolate. Okay if Kansas is still involved then they have NOT relinguished jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">