• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CMSC

What is the name of your state? KY but question is relevant in OK and UT.

Custody order originated in OK but was registered in UT 3 years later. Does UT hold jurisdiction or does OK? If child no longer resides in either state how does the NCP go about registering the order in the child's state of residence and filing a modification?

Thanks!

irish933

I think that OK holds the jurisdiction until you actually have a change of jurisdiction or transfer the case to your current state.Rregistering an order in another state does not make it an automatic transfer to that state.

BelizeBreeze

Then you need to file any action in California. You can file in Oklahoma but as soon as you do jurisdiction will be ceeded to the home state of the child.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
BelizeBreeze said:
Then you need to file any action in California. You can file in Oklahoma but as soon as you do jurisdiction will be ceeded to the home state of the child.
And an hour later we finally get all the facts to get to this -- the proper answer. Whooo....:D

CMSC

Ohiogal said:
And an hour later we finally get all the facts to get to this -- the proper answer. Whooo....:D
Yea, Yea I'm slow today, lack of sleep. That and I had already put it in my other thread so I didn't realize it was not in this one.

Thanks for the answer Belize.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
CMSC said:
Yea, Yea I'm slow today, lack of sleep. That and I had already put it in my other thread so I didn't realize it was not in this one.

Thanks for the answer Belize.
1 thread is always a good idea. That way we might be able to dig out the facts we need. Simple questions are never just simple questions. Now go get some sleep if you haven't already.:p

CMSC

Ohiogal said:
1 thread is always a good idea. That way we might be able to dig out the facts we need. Simple questions are never just simple questions. Now go get some sleep if you haven't already.:p
I started a new thread because I had another question. I've been here long enough to know how to post and now that I am caught up on sleep I think I can do it properly.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">