• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just Served Motion to Modify Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dware

My children reside in Rhode Island with their mother. We are in the process of getting a divorce. We are waiting for the judge to enter a final judgement on the divorce. In the original divorce papers, we had agreed that we would share joint legal custody with my ex maintaining physical custody. This agreement was accepted by the court. Now, on the eve of the judge's final judgement, my ex has decided she simply can't work with me and wants sole custody. She has put together a list of issues that is a lot of he said she said.

My questions, how do I respond to this motion? Should I file a motion simply objecting? Should I ask for mediation? Will the court insist on mediation before deciding on the motion? Can my ex take sole custody simply because she can't get along with me? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dware

Zephyr

asking for mediation, may well be the most productive step you could make

that and getting an attorney

dware

Thanks Zephyr

Do you know if that is usually part of the process in these types of cases? I'm dealing with the Rhode Island court system. Wouldn't the judge need some type of investigation to determine the merits of my ex wife's claims?

Thanks again,

Dware

Zephyr

there are all sorts of things that can happen during the course of a custody case; custody evaluations, investigations, guardian ad litems, etc- that's why I said mediation could be your most productive move, then you and the mom make the decisions (albeit with help) rather than having a third party who does not know either of you decide....

and you should try to present anything you have that would refute your ex's claims.....be sure to check your courts rules for entering evidence

R

ronda_jeremy

This is something IAAL could have helped with, but he seems to have disappeared.

R

ronda_jeremy

eme76 said:
ROTFLMAO:D

hey RJ-how is jenna:rolleyes:
Uuum hum! Bet those eyes of yours weren't rolling when you were trying learn a few "tricks" from the movies!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">