• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

just wondering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

californiacher

What is the name of your state? ca
son and daugther in law divorced judge said daughter was to get a job and had to provide half of the childrens support ex daughter in law got remarried never had a job is it now considering her paying half of the support through a new marriage? son has medical insurance on the children
now the new husband lost his job and they are on welfare
trying to find out info for my son and his new wife
thanks

casa

californiacher said:
What is the name of your state? ca
son and daugther in law divorced judge said daughter was to get a job and had to provide half of the childrens support ex daughter in law got remarried never had a job is it now considering her paying half of the support through a new marriage? son has medical insurance on the children
now the new husband lost his job and they are on welfare
trying to find out info for my son and his new wife
thanks
What is your question?

X daughter in law can have her husband pay her support for her, if he's willing/able...but husband's income is not used to calculate support- just like son's new wife's income isn't.

californiacher

guess my question

if my ex daughter in law is able to work to support her corut order then she should be?
she refuses to work and feels that my son should support her and pay all the medical she refuses to take the g-kids to a dentist even though my g-sons teeth are real bad says it should be paid by my son even though he pays for all thier medical now

CJane

You're going to have to tell us exactly what the court order says. I can't imagine an order so incredibly vague that it simply says 'wife must be emplyed and contribute 1/2 of children's care'.

Who has physical/primary custody?
Is there child support ordered on either side?
What is the visitation schedule?
Why can't dad take the kids to the dentist if he's worried about their oral health?

californiacher

ex has the children she was living with her mother at the time
judge said that because she had no income coming in but the support from my son she had to be able to provide half of the support for the children as well
my son lives 300 miles away and is a military man needless to say he has limited time with the children and when he does ask to see them ex gets in a huff
he has remarried and so had she his new wife is pregant ex can;t get pregant anymore and blames son this in turm has made matters worse
her having the children she takes children to drs but not dentist because she says he should pay that as well as child support and medical

CJane

californiacher said:
ex has the children she was living with her mother at the time
judge said that because she had no income coming in but the support from my son she had to be able to provide half of the support for the children as well
my son lives 300 miles away and is a military man needless to say he has limited time with the children and when he does ask to see them ex gets in a huff
he has remarried and so had she his new wife is pregant ex can;t get pregant anymore and blames son this in turm has made matters worse
her having the children she takes children to drs but not dentist because she says he should pay that as well as child support and medical
Ok, I'm not asking what the judge said I'm asking what the COURT ORDER says - this would be the piece of paper that was issued/agreed to/signed by both parties and the judge at the time of the divorce. Your son should have a copy of it.

casa

californiacher said:
if my ex daughter in law is able to work to support her corut order then she should be?
she refuses to work and feels that my son should support her and pay all the medical she refuses to take the g-kids to a dentist even though my g-sons teeth are real bad says it should be paid by my son even though he pays for all thier medical now
Your son (in CA) is ordered to carry Medical ins...which includes dental & vision. (check out Family Law Code), whether that is part of an existing plan or not.
He should have Delta Dental being in the military.

CA courts assume both parents are responsible for 1/2 of the children's support. If the Mom is living with her parents- she's obviously providing 1/2 of the child's support via shelter, food, clothing, utilities etc.

What probably happened is they input an approx. wage/earnings for the mother when they determined the % of support to be paid by the father...this is standard in CA. That is why the judge said mother is responsible for part of their care (to explain his calculations of support father is ordered to pay). If it was anything other than that~ The court order should state that, and what consequence- if any- the court will impose.

What, VERBATIM, does the court order say?

LdiJ

californiacher said:
Despite what the judge said, the judge can't order her to work. All the judge can do is impute an income for her for the purposes of calculating child support. If she is ordered to share in the medical expenses and doesn't, then he can take her back to court for contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">