• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

kids caught in bad situation on both sides of custody

• Thread starter MrBojangles5240
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MrBojangles5240

A friend of mines parent's seperated and both remarried. Her mother got remarried and divorced again. She has an older brother with the same 2 parents, a younger brother by her dad, and a set of twins by her mom and former stepdad. The twins are 13 years old and the parents have joint custody, but the father has residential. The problem is that the stepfather has a bad temper and is sometimes abusive and the mother works an incredible amount and is a light alcoholic. So the kids lose on either side of the custody. My friend;s older brother is 21 and would be able to take temporary custody of the twins but he is not responsible enough. Does not hold a steady job or residence and up until a few days ago lived with his mother. My friend herself would but she is enrolled in college and connot take the responsibility. I know these twins personally and would like to be able to help as much as possible. If anyone has any questions about the situation or any suggestions, please help. Thank you.

S

smh33

Everybody, everyone has the right to be a parent regardless of anyone else's opinion of thier life.
To answer..if you want to help...your best position is neutral...not mom,dad,step,etc....and to let twins know you are there for them, understand it may be tough & they might need extra ear/shoulder at times. Many people have endorsed the actions of others...said such & such was like a dad,mom,aunt,etc....that is most important, that they feel/know they have an outlet. A place where saying mom sucks is ok or dad sucks is ok and it doesn't get back to them, a place/person they can express feelings/desires without any reprecussions. A place where if anything at either home got out of line...abuse/neglect...they know is a safe haven. I think that is the best you can do for them along with other siblings and maybe surprized how much down the road twins utilize your offer. Many times children just need an outlet, acceptance...not based on which parent they happen to be with. If situation is/were to become truely harmful/dangerous...then I would hope you would call child services...hopefully not that bad. Nice that you are concerned and not even your family. Best wishes to all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">