• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kids father wants to take the kids out of state and leave them there for 5 days

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carameia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I have full physical custody of my kids, my ex husband gets every other weekend and 2 weeks uninterrupted parent time in the summer. In a week and 1/2 i am to drop off my kids to their father for their 2 weeks with him. I don't have a problem with them spending their allotted time with him but this I have a problem with.

We both live in utah, and the weekend he is intending to take the kids he is going on vacation to California. He will be their will the girls for the weekend and fly back to utah sunday evening and fly back to California friday evening. My question is it legal for him to take the kids out of state and leave them there for a week without my permission with someone that I would never allow my kids to be alone with. He is saying that he needs to do that because he doesn't have someone to watch the girls while he is at work, if that is the case I would rather my kids come home for those 5 days.

Isis1

It is not illegal for dad to take the children out of state on vacation unless your court order specifically states dad cannot leave the state WITH the children. If dad is returning the children at the end of the two weeks, then he in full compliance with the law.

If you refuse to allow dad his court ordered time, YOU would be breaking the law. Barring a court order, dad is allowed to have any babysitter of his choice.

CourtClerk

Watch this:

So, which family member of the children is this that the kids will be visiting because no one leaves their child out of state for 5 days with a random babysitter. You conveniently left that out of your post.

Proserpina

Watch this:

So, which family member of the children is this that the kids will be visiting because no one leaves their child out of state for 5 days with a random babysitter. You conveniently left that out of your post.

Oh, I think I can hazard a guess..

Carameia

The person that he would be leaving the kids with is my Biological mother. I was givin up for adoption as in infant and met her when i was 17. She is very unstable, and not someone that I feel should be in charge of my children.

Proserpina

The person that he would be leaving the kids with is my Biological mother. I was givin up for adoption as in infant and met her when i was 17. She is very unstable, and not someone that I feel should be in charge of my children.

So how is she unfit?

How is she a danger to your children?

LdiJ

So how is she unfit?

How is she a danger to your children?
I would like to know the answer to those questions as well, but I suspect that anyone who was adopted at birth, met their biological parent at 17, and did not want their children alone with their biological parent would have the same reaction that this parent is having (whether they be mom OR dad). This woman has no legal relationship to mom, dad OR the children.

What dad is doing is just plain wrong on all kinds of levels...maybe not legal ones, but just plain wrong.

I would be tempted to take it back to court on an emergency basis. I might not win, but I would sure feel I should try. If dad cannot exercise his visitation because he does not have child care, then the kids should go back to mom for those days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">