• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kids Sharing a Bedroom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I did a search and found this topic in many different capacity's but didn't achieve clearification so please help.

One of my siblings have two children (in Ohio) and they share a bedroom. They are 9 and 7. Their house is configured weird and they dont' want one of the kids on a different floor so the other room is a play/tv room.

Is this against the law? The children are good kids, do well in school etc, but one of their cousins' is having a rough time (11) They are considering volunteering to take temporary custoday (he'd stay in TV room) but don't want to get themselves in some sort of trouble as they have been told they can't have their kids together by friends / coworkers.

Advice?

nextwife

Good grief. No, it's not illegal for two kids to share a bedroom!

If they are different gender, then a partial partition wall or screen should be used to provide each child a private portion of the room, or at least a private corner that is screened to change in.

Last edited:

NotSoNew

no theres nothing wrong with having your own kids share a room

however if they want to get temp custody of the cousin through a state agency they might have their own rules about seperate bedrooms, but they wont get in trouble they might just get denied temp custody of the cousin.

abstract99

I grew up in a 3 bedroom house with 7 brothers and sisters. (one set of twins, one set of triplets and then 3 kids) We had to share 2 bedrooms, does that make my parents bad parents? No we loved it.

tigger22472

Well common sense would tell you that the cousin has to be one of the genders of the other kids, that is unless I missed a biology class and there are three genders now. Why can't the children of the same gender share a room? Problem solved.

tigger22472 said:
Well common sense would tell you that the cousin has to be one of the genders of the other kids, that is unless I missed a biology class and there are three genders now. Why can't the children of the same gender share a room? Problem solved.
Because then one of their children is on a separate floor of the house, which is why they are sharing a room to begin with. They want their young children on the same floor of the house as them. ;)

tigger22472

Ithildriel said:
Because then one of their children is on a separate floor of the house, which is why they are sharing a room to begin with. They want their young children on the same floor of the house as them. ;)
If they were toddlers or something I could see it but at 9 and 7 guess I don't see them as 'young children' but to each their own I guess.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ithildriel said:
Actually OP said they didn't want ONE of their kids on a separate floor. If the cousin moves in because they get custody of them then it would be like two of their kids on a separate floor. I know my daughter and stepdaughter are on a separate floor than me and my hubby -- they have the ENTIRE third floor of the houes to themselves.

Ohiogal said:
Actually OP said they didn't want ONE of their kids on a separate floor. If the cousin moves in because they get custody of them then it would be like two of their kids on a separate floor. I know my daughter and stepdaughter are on a separate floor than me and my hubby -- they have the ENTIRE third floor of the houes to themselves.
The child is having a "rough time"...that could mean anything. I am assuming some type of behavioral issue they think they can help "fix". It sounded from the post like the cousin would be staying by his/her self in the other room. It did not sound like they were ready to move one of their kids in a room on a separate floor with the child.

We don't know if they cousins even know each other that well, let alone get along.

And OP is a third party to the situation, so who knows when / if they are going to come back.

Back

I was coming back :)

These kids do know eachother and if it turns into a long term solution it would likely happen that two of the kids (one her own and the cousin) both boys would change to the second floor.

The concern was the short term... Child services showing up and finding out that her two kids boy and girl were already sharing a bedroom and her being in trouble.

That all stemmed from someone saying it was "Illegal and an issue for children over 5 to share a room if they are a different gender"

Truly she wants to help not cause problems for her own family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">