• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kind of a legal question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

karma1

What is the name of your state? ca
and maybe this is a power of attorney thing?
My brother was granted custody of my niece in Aug. and they both live with my husband and myself (she's doing great, BTW-gonna take care of her aunt in her old age-lol)-he has joint legal, sole physical-
Mom is homeless, has no contact number and uses a PO box for any mailings.
I'm wondering about things like if something should happen, (God forbid) to my niece, like at school or even here at home, and dad cant be reached right away----can I legally act on his (dads) behalf?
Should the need arise, is there a way for me to sign, lets say, medical treatment papers for her should dad not be available right away?
There really is no way to get a hold of BM and she refuses to facilitate any kind of communication about her daughter with dad-
Just trying to be prepared-

JaneyS4

Well, I don't know if the same thing applies but I go out of town once a year for two or three days with my husband. When we first started doing this, I called a lawyer and asked about authorization of medical treatment in case of emergencies to my mother. This is what he suggested I do. I typed up a paper stating who me and my husband were, who my children were, and that I authorized my mother, stating her name, to approve any medical treatment nessasary for them in my absense. Since then, I've also had one drawn up for my mother=in-law. I had them both noterized with mine and my husbands signature. Now, my mom did have to take my son to the dr one time during my absense and this paper seemed to satisfy them, but I don't know if thats because they've seen her at the dr's office with me and knew who she was, or because the paper was sufficient.

JaneyS4

I forgot to add that along with that, I always provide the proper documents like insurance cards, ss cards and stuff like that to go with it.

kidoday

I have always done the same as Janey. There is actually a document I found in my local phone book that provided the same info. I can scan and email it to you if you wish.

I also know that when my husband coached his softball team the city gave him a sheet similar in case one of the parents were not able to be located in case of an emergency. Thankfully he was never put in that situation.

karma1

thanks all.....

thats what I thought-just wanted to be sure. My brother is making copies of his court order should the BM show up here on non visitation days or times and he is not here-also.
thanks again:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">