• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord needs to know how many children can reside in a one bedroom apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkyvailchick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I have a one bedroom, one bath lockoff apartment that is available for rent.
All utilities are included. The departing tenants are responsible to find a tenant. A divorced father has 3 children and wants to rent the apartment.
He has visitation rights, every other weekend, he says.
I'm concerned about wear and tear and additional utility expenses due to laundry and showers. I don't think there is enough room for 3 children even for every other weekend down there. 8, 6 and 2 years old. If I tell him no, have I breached my agreement with my tenants? Have I violated his rights?
I thought each child is supposed to have his own bedroom, but can't seem to find out.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

All utilities are included. The departing tenants are responsible to find a tenant. A divorced father has 3 children and wants to rent the apartment.
I'm concerned about wear and tear and additional utility expenses due to laundry and showers. I don't think there is enough room for 3 children even for every other weekend down there. 8, 6 and 2 years old. If I tell him no, have I breached my agreement with my tenants? Have I violated his rights?
I thought each child is supposed to have his own bedroom, but can't seem to find out.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Unless you want to get sued, you can't refuse to rent to people with children. Mistake 1

If the apartment is availible for rent, then why are the departing tenants responsible for finding a tenant? Why would you give your right to select tenants to an outgoing tenant who has every reason to just get and schlub in there and take off. Mistake 2

Occupancy laws are a local matter. As a landlord you should already know them. Mistake 3

There is no law each child needs a bedroom. If you try to use that to justify denying this guy then that is mistake 4

LdiJ

Most family court judges would not require a parent to have a separate bedroom for children for an every other weekend visitation schedule. There also aren't many city ordinances that control "visiting" in terms of space/bedroom requirements.

Do you really think that utilities are going to be higher having kids there every other weekend, as opposed to say, two adult living there full time?

BL

Find out your local codes for occupancy per size of unit to number of people .

You can not in itself discriminate based on children .

funkyvailchick

To BL

thanks! Now if I only knew who that would be....?

To Xylene, read the questions again and lose the attitude.

To Bay State girl, whatever!

funkyvailchick

tenants breaking lease

oh yeah, the apartment is vacant because the tenants are breaking their lease, who every the person was that asked that. Clearly this is little help other than for people who have not lives to post blatant replies to other peoples problems. Have a good one.

BL

oh yeah, the apartment is vacant because the tenants are breaking their lease, who every the person was that asked that. Clearly this is little help other than for people who have not lives to post blatant replies to other peoples problems. Have a good one.
You have two threads on the same subject , which isn't necessary .

You have to understand we are volunteers here , and when posters , post all over the place , it's hard to keep track of what is being typed .

If the post on the same subject is in one thread , you'll get the best advise out there .

Call your local code enforcement people .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">