• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws on children sharing a bedroom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kids123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL.

Just wondering what the laws in Il. are for children sharing a bedroom, if any?
Due to our financial state we cannot afford to move or to build room additions. My children are forced to share a bedroom. Just making sure Dad cannot try to take my child away b/c we have to deal with our circumstances right now. Hopefully in the future we can build on but now it is not possible. And I put nothing past the man. I'm sure he will try to use that factor against me.
Thank You

fairisfair

although I doubt there are any "laws", there may well be situations that a court will or will not find "appropriate".

A little more info would be helpful, such as the ages and genders of the children.

kids123

Yes, I do appologize. That would be helpful. I have 3 children. Ages are 16, female. 9 boy & 5 girl. My 16 yo has half the room as hers and is parted by a sheet for privacy and the other 2 share the other side. The room is mostly used for sleeping and we try to give the teen the most privacy. Thanks for the advice.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, I do appologize. That would be helpful. I have 3 children. Ages are 16, female. 9 boy & 5 girl. My 16 yo has half the room as hers and is parted by a sheet for privacy and the other 2 share the other side. The room is mostly used for sleeping and we try to give the teen the most privacy. Thanks for the advice.
You will need to do something soon. While not against the law it is not going to necessarily please the court. The 16 year old is greatly older than the others. Dad could raise a ruckus about it. If dad has enough room to have only the girls sharing and the boy having his own room he might be able to fight this as a change in circumstance. How long has the situation been like this? Do you have your own room?

kids123

Thank you for the advice. This has been this way for years and although we would like to move and/or build on once our family started growing, we have never had the means to do so. We could never sell our home and get at min. what we owe on it. We were not planning on extending our family when we bought the house. And we could never afford to build additions on. It has never been an issue b4 - but now her dad is trying to cause problems and I am afraid he will bring this up. When my husband and I married we both had alot of past bills from previous relationships and to start our life fresh we added these (what we call ex bills) in with our mortgage - not knowing any better at the time. When our family started growing we found ourselves stuck. Her dad had no bills when we split b/c I was young and nieve and let him swindle me into putting everything in my name and I got stuck with it all when we split.
We have 2 BR's in the house. No other space I could even use as a makeshift br. What can I do? Any suggestions? I don't want to lose my child b/c we are stuck in a home that is too small. We have made it work over the years. We have even thought of building a wall 2 divide the rooms but were afraid that would not work since we would only have one entry way and that would not be safe.

LdiJ

Thank you for the advice. This has been this way for years and although we would like to move and/or build on once our family started growing, we have never had the means to do so. We could never sell our home and get at min. what we owe on it. We were not planning on extending our family when we bought the house. And we could never afford to build additions on. It has never been an issue b4 - but now her dad is trying to cause problems and I am afraid he will bring this up. When my husband and I married we both had alot of past bills from previous relationships and to start our life fresh we added these (what we call ex bills) in with our mortgage - not knowing any better at the time. When our family started growing we found ourselves stuck. Her dad had no bills when we split b/c I was young and nieve and let him swindle me into putting everything in my name and I got stuck with it all when we split.
We have 2 BR's in the house. No other space I could even use as a makeshift br. What can I do? Any suggestions? I don't want to lose my child b/c we are stuck in a home that is too small. We have made it work over the years. We have even thought of building a wall 2 divide the rooms but were afraid that would not work since we would only have one entry way and that would not be safe.
Actually you can create two entryways easy enough. You just eliminate the existing door and have sort of a set back entryway with doors to both rooms, at right angles to each other.

Or, if the room butts up to the living room, then you create a whole new doorway, straight from the living room for one of the rooms, and leave the existing door for the other.

Also, depending on how your house was built, its also sometimes possible to create a dormer room out of the attic, for a relatively reasonable amount of money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">