• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer doesn't file motion as instructed. What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randolph

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Lawyer doesn't file motion as instructed. What should I do?

I'll try to make a long story short. My lawyer contaced me via snail mail w draft of motion. He asked that I approve it or let him know if there were any changes. The next day, I left a voicemail and email indicating it was fine. I haven't heard anything from his since (it was 5 weeks ago that I approved motion). So, last week I started leaving voicemails and sending emails.

Today his secretary called and said that he hasn't filed it yet. I about blew a gasket. We both signed the contract which obligated him to pursue my interests etc. He also virtually never returns my calls or emails. This guy is also pretty expensive.

He is a custody attorney, and, I hired him because my ex was frustrating my visitation and completely refusing to cooperate. I hired him to file a motion to reestablish my visitation.

I called today and he doesn't return calls.

What should I do?

I really need to know.

You Are Guilty

randolph said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Lawyer doesn't file motion as instructed. What should I do?

I'll try to make a long story short. My lawyer contaced me via snail mail w draft of motion. He asked that I approve it or let him know if there were any changes. The next day, I left a voicemail and email indicating it was fine. I haven't heard anything from his since (it was 5 weeks ago that I approved motion). So, last week I started leaving voicemails and sending emails.

Today his secretary called and said that he hasn't filed it yet. I about blew a gasket. We both signed the contract which obligated him to pursue my interests etc. He also virtually never returns my calls or emails. This guy is also pretty expensive.

He is a custody attorney, and, I hired him because my ex was frustrating my visitation and completely refusing to cooperate. I hired him to file a motion to reestablish my visitation.

I called today and he doesn't return calls.

What should I do?

I really need to know.

It's nearly impossible for him to ignore you if you were to go down to his office in person...

randolph

Yes, I'm sorry ... I didn't mention, he and I are in neighboring states. A distance of four hours. I made a trip there two months ago. The reason I have a lawyer in that state is because that's where the mother resides with our very young child. Thank you.

I'm also wondering....it strikes me like his ignoring of me breaches our contract which stipulates that i get reasonable access.

So, any further advice would be appreciated.

I suppose you could file a complaint with the state bar association. Other than that, you'll have to make a personal visit or get a new lawyer.

randolph

Do complaints with the state bar association often accomplish much? I agree it appears i'll need a new attorney....nonetheless i gave this man $3500 and not only did he not help me he set me back 8 months and I want him to be held accountable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">