• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lead Paint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jb07

What is the name of your state? MA

I just found out that my ex and her new boyfriend are buying an older "fixer upper" farmhouse that has lead paint in it. I am concerned for my daughter's health. They are going to be doing work to this house while they are living in it, and I have heard that disrupting the lead paint (scraping, sanding etc) can create airborn particles that kids can absorb into their systems easily. I haven't done enough research yet to figure out if this is a valid health concern or not, but has anyone here ever dealt with this issue? Can I ask that she not live in this environment if it is a risk to her health?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? MA

I just found out that my ex and her new boyfriend are buying an older "fixer upper" farmhouse that has lead paint in it. I am concerned for my daughter's health. They are going to be doing work to this house while they are living in it, and I have heard that disrupting the lead paint (scraping, sanding etc) can create airborn particles that kids can absorb into their systems easily. I haven't done enough research yet to figure out if this is a valid health concern or not, but has anyone here ever dealt with this issue? Can I ask that she not live in this environment if it is a risk to her health?
**A: so more research www.hud.gov or www.epa.gov search lead paint. You have valid concerns so you can certainly ask.

nextwife

Know what? My mom and her 7 siblings grew up in an older home with lead paint. Several siblings became doctors, another a high ranking Gov't official. My siblings and I also grew up in a pre-1950 construction home with lead paint, and two sibs now have Ivy League post grad degrees. The state cannot interfere with visitation/custody just because their house isn't new enough for you.

HomeGuru

Know what? My mom and her 7 siblings grew up in an older home with lead paint. Several siblings became doctors, another a high ranking Gov't official. My siblings and I also grew up in a pre-1950 construction home with lead paint, and two sibs now have Ivy League post grad degrees. The state cannot interfere with visitation/custody just because their house isn't new enough for you.
**A: Nexie, that was not the point. The main concern is the child's exposure to lead paint and the do it yourselfers.

Just Blue

Unless, of course, the child's blood tests come back with unhealthy doses of lead. Lead paint poisoning can cause many health and cognitive issues.

Last edited:

nextwife

**A: Nexie, that was not the point. The main concern is the child's exposure to lead paint and the do it yourselfers.
There are ways that do it yourselfers can limit particle transfer to other parts of the house. They can cover the air vents and hang heavy plastic at the openings of each room as they work in it.

Has the poster even ASKED them how they are planning to limit dust particles exposure to the child when over there? Perhaps the whole issue has already been, or could easily be addressed? Or does she just want to use this issue to limit visitation?

LdiJ

I would like the OP to explain just how it is that he knows that there is lead paint in the house?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Or does she just want to use this issue to limit visitation?
Or, more likely - since it's DAD posting the question and MOM has custody - HE is looking at how to change custody based on this concern. You know better than this, Nexxie. It's not always Mom trying to be the bad guy.

nextwife

Or, more likely - since it's DAD posting the question and MOM has custody - HE is looking at how to change custody based on this concern. You know better than this, Nexxie. It's not always Mom trying to be the bad guy.

As I am very aware that various forms of remediation (asbestos, lead paint, mold) CAN and is safely done without necessarily abandoning the property, and without risking occupant health (I do work in real estate, after all), my point was that simply deciding that the child shouldn't be there at all is over the top and smacks more of wanting to find a reason to limit visits to the other parent. The poster never stated that they had any knowledge that the other parent was unwilling to take any protective measures, so they seem to be jumping conclusions..

CJane

Has the poster even ASKED them how they are planning to limit dust particles exposure to the child when over there? Perhaps the whole issue has already been, or could easily be addressed? Or does she just want to use this issue to limit visitation?
Wow. You really ARE as anti-Mom as every one always accuses Ldi of being PRO-mom, aren't you?

OP is a man, as is evidenced by his ver first sentence.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
As I am very aware that various forms of remediation (asbestos, lead paint, mold) CAN and is safely done without necessarily abandoning the property, and without risking occupant health (I do work in real estate, after all), my point was that simply deciding that the child shouldn't be there at all is over the top and smacks more of wanting to find a reason to limit visits to the other parent. The poster never stated that they had any knowledge that the other parent was unwilling to take any protective measures, so they seem to be jumping conclusions..
I think you missed my point. You made the leap that it's MOM wanting to withhold visitation, when it was clear that it's Dad wanting to likely change custody. All it takes is the time to read what's posted before jumping to conclusions. And this time - you jumped to a HUGE one.

CJane

It appears that we are digressing from the main point at hand.
Because YOU had to be an overachiever and post the answer in the first response.

But fine... my .02...

My father is an environmental engineer. I can't tell you how many remediation projects I've been on with him as a sample collector or putting together his reports or photographing the process for later classes.

Lead paint IS a concern. It is not, however, a large enough concern to warrant removal of the child from the home if handled properly. In fact, the best way to deal with lead paint is to simply paint over it w/a good oil based primer. If it IS being stripped/sanded/etc, it should be done outside - but then, that's the case when using any of the chemicals that strip oil based paints.

That popcorn crap on your ceilings? The kind they sprayed into every house between 70 and 90? Up til 82 or so, it contained asbestos. Not dangerous levels, but still not a great idea to scrape that junk off when the kiddos are home.

The back yard your kid plays in, or the park, may very well be sites of former gas stations w/petroleum leaks that permeate through the soil.

The entire town of Bartlesville OK was coated in lead - they took EVERY BIT of topsoil out of large portions of that town and replaced it with clean dirt. HUGE remediation project. But kids still lived there before and after.

It's GOOD that you're concerned about environmental toxins. But you need to understand that your child is exposed to them EVERY SINGLE DAY in a billion different places and all you can do is keep on being a parent.

Take her to get tested every 6 months or so... it's a VERY simple blood test.

HomeGuru

Because YOU had to be an overachiever and post the answer in the first response.

But fine... my .02...

My father is an environmental engineer. I can't tell you how many remediation projects I've been on with him as a sample collector or putting together his reports or photographing the process for later classes.

Lead paint IS a concern. It is not, however, a large enough concern to warrant removal of the child from the home if handled properly. In fact, the best way to deal with lead paint is to simply paint over it w/a good oil based primer. If it IS being stripped/sanded/etc, it should be done outside - but then, that's the case when using any of the chemicals that strip oil based paints.

That popcorn crap on your ceilings? The kind they sprayed into every house between 70 and 90? Up til 82 or so, it contained asbestos. Not dangerous levels, but still not a great idea to scrape that junk off when the kiddos are home.

The back yard your kid plays in, or the park, may very well be sites of former gas stations w/petroleum leaks that permeate through the soil.

The entire town of Bartlesville OK was coated in lead - they took EVERY BIT of topsoil out of large portions of that town and replaced it with clean dirt. HUGE remediation project. But kids still lived there before and after.

It's GOOD that you're concerned about environmental toxins. But you need to understand that your child is exposed to them EVERY SINGLE DAY in a billion different places and all you can do is keep on being a parent.

Take her to get tested every 6 months or so... it's a VERY simple blood test.

**A: yup we got enough environmental problems that we create on our own. We don't need help from China. Oh, I think there's lead in my kids' toy Made in China.

CJane

**A: yup we got enough environmental problems that we create on our own. We don't need help from China. Oh, I think there's lead in my kids' toy Made in China.
Not mine. I knew Thomas the Tank Engine was evil LONG before they made him toxic. :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">