• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leavin with child across state lines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

barb_e_dol

hi, i am thinkin about leavin my husband and moving in with a friend, i live in illinois, she lives in michigan, about 6 hours away, will i be going against the law doing this without comsent from the father of my child? Will I be in trouble if i do this? Also, my child is 11 and is handicapped, doesnt walk or talk and is totally dependent on me for his every need, will the court take this into consideration whn ordering child support?, thank you

G

Grandma B

If you're thinking of leaving your husband, are you also thinking of filing for dissolution of the marriage? You might consider doing this before leaving the state. Once you move from Michigan, you would have to establish residency in the new state before you can file (minimum of 6 months). In the meantime, he could file his own dissolution papers in Illinois and you would be dealing with it long distance. You can request permission to leave the state with the child as part of the dissolution. If the father doesn't object, no problem. If he does, the court will decide whether the move would be in the child's best interest. Good luck and God bless your child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">