• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving Children Alone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KanoJoe

(Georgia) My ex-wife and I share joint custody, although she is the primary custodian. I have grown very concerned about the safety and well-being of my children, and may want to pursue the custody issue again in court.

One of my primary concerns deals with the fact that my ex- has established a pattern of leaving a sick child at home alone (unable to attend school when sick). She has done this on repeated occassions, enough to establish a definite pattern. She has also instructed the children not to tell me about them staying home alone.

Does anyone know what Georgia law defines as a safe age for children to stay home alone? Does anyone have any other suggestions concerning this situation?

Thanks!

Joe

K

KanoJoe

Is there? My question concerns the law in Georgia. Is the law subjective? For example, if the law says 12 years of age or 14 years of age, then the law would 'allow' an 11 yr old and not a 6 yr old to remain home alone? If so, then why even have the law?

Regardless of the age under 12, leaving a sick child home alone is definitely not appropriate behavior, nor in the best interest of the child.

For the record, though, one child is 6 and the other is 11. But also just for the record, I have just as much concern about an 11 yr old child who is left home alone while sick.

To repeat the question, Does anyone know GEORGIA law in regards to the legal age for leaving a child home alone?

Joe

B

berrycute3

I do know that the child needs to be able to resposibily take care of themselves while at home alone. So age is diference isn't the question. The question is the child Mentally,physically, and emotionally able to care for themselves. Since there are alot of 12 or 14 year olds that can and can't do that, lack of making the right decision and choices. Not all kids are just as resonsible at any age as one we all difer in age appropriatness. As for what the law is in Goergia, no idea.

tammy8

I tried looking up the laws in GA but was unable to find them. I had this question also and was told by Dept of Social Services, there was no "set" age for kids to be home alone. I was told it was up to the parent and how mature they felt the child was. You should probably call your DSS to see what they recommend.

B

berrycute3

B

berrycute3

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">