• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving/Divorcing alcoholic, mental/verbal abusive husb, should I file first?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irish_blue_eyes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

I plan on getting a divorce from my alcoholic husband of 3 yrs (common-law for at least 5 yrs before that). He can be verbally, emotionally and mentally abusive at times. I have one 3.5 year old daughter. She is starting to be affected by him.

We live in an extended stay hotel (his choice - but in my name because he does not have a valid DL or ID) and have one car in my name. I have a job and all of us are on insurance through this job.

I did leave him once last year and went to a shelter - had no job and no money.

Should I file before I leave him or just leave him first? I don't want him to try and take my (our) daughter.

Don't really have any money saved up right now for a lawyer. Plan on seeing if I can move back in with parents, but they don't believe in divorce and probably won't let me stay.

I'm scared to leave and scared more to stay.

Again, should I file first or leave? If I just leave, how do I make sure he doesn't take my daughter and leave the country with her.

I don't know what to do!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">