• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal age in North Carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stepheniy

I am a sixteen year old female & I want to know... What is the legal age to move out of your parents house in North Carolina?
I was told that since my mother is visually impaired that I can not move out until I am eighteen, is this true :confused:

Your input will be very much appreciated. Thank you

P.S. Please forgive me for putting it in the wrong forum...I was unsure where to put it.

Last edited:

JETX

"What is the legal age to move out of your parents house in North Carolina?"
*** You cannot live on your own in North Carolina as a juvenile. This is defined in § 7B-101(14) as follows:
"Juvenile. - A person who has not reached the person's eighteenth birthday and is not married, emancipated, or a member of the armed forces of the United States."
Source: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Statutes/GeneralStatutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_7B/GS_7B-101.html

And the statutes regarding emancipation in North Carolina can be found at:
http://www.ncleg.net/Statutes/GeneralStatutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_7B/Article_35.html

Last edited:
S

Stepheniy

What if I want to move in with another person, it would not necessarily be a place of my own. Would that still be illegal?

djohnson

You can not be emancipated while dependant on someone else. Go read the emancipation requirements JETX provided for you. You are still a minor and your parents/legal guardian still knows best despite what you may think. If you go anyway, they can call the police and report you as a runaway and whoever you are staying with will be in big trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">