• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal custody/guardianship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kidhelp4me

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have sole legal custody of my two kids, with their father having parenting time. Is custody and guardianship the same thing? Can he sign forms as the legal guardian when they are with him during his parenting time? I assume he isn't the legal custodian when they are with him during his parenting time.

mistoffolees

Tell us what the court order says with respect to custody - word for word without the names.

And what forms is he signing?

CJane

Custody and guardianship are not, in fact, the same thing.

He is allowed to make day to day decisions for the minor children - unless specifically excluded from such in the order. The ONLY thing that "sole legal" gives you, as far as greater rights to control than Dad has, is you get to make the larger decisions (where kids go to school, which doctors they see) without consulting Dad.

CJane

Which is why I asked exactly what forms he was signing. There are some forms that he has the right to sign as a parent regardless of what the custody order says.
I honestly cannot think of a single "form" that a child would need signed that Dad could possibly get in trouble for signing, regardless of legal custody status.

LdiJ

I honestly cannot think of a single "form" that a child would need signed that Dad could possibly get in trouble for signing, regardless of legal custody status.
I can think of a few, but not many.

CJane

There are some. A passport form, for example.
He wouldn't get in trouble for signing a passport form. His signature isn't required, and as a stand alone won't get the job done, but he's not going to face punishment for signing the form.

LdiJ

He wouldn't get in trouble for signing a passport form. His signature isn't required, and as a stand alone won't get the job done, but he's not going to face punishment for signing the form.
A permission form for elective surgery...that one could get dad in a lot of trouble. Maybe even a permission form for some kind of dangerous activity.

mistoffolees

Depends on WHICH passport form he signs. For example, there's one form which allows you to get a passport without the other parent's permission if you have no way to contact the other parent. If he signs that one, he's going to be in a lot of trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">