• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Guardian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bethtech1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Good Morning! My question pertains to appointing my child a legal guardian. I am a divorced single parent that has sole physical and legal custody of our only child age 8. Visitation is open to my discreation/supervised and currently occurrs every Saturday from 11:45 am to 12 noon the following day. Can I legally name a person to be my child's legal guardian in my absence or if I am physically unable to act in her best interest? Do I have the legal right to do this without involving my former husband? He is an alcholic and suffers from Bi-Polar disorder. Thank You!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Good Morning! My question pertains to appointing my child a legal guardian. I am a divorced single parent that has sole physical and legal custody of our only child age 8. Visitation is open to my discreation/supervised and currently occurrs every Saturday from 11:45 am to 12 noon the following day. Can I legally name a person to be my child's legal guardian in my absence or if I am physically unable to act in her best interest? Do I have the legal right to do this without involving my former husband? He is an alcholic and suffers from Bi-Polar disorder. Thank You!
You can name a standby guardian, but your wishes will not be final if dad challenges your decision. It will be up to the judge to decide where your child will be placed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">