• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal guardian/parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LM1026

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My husband's ex wants him to sign over legal guardianship to her new boyfriend. Is this the same as signing over his parental rights? If something were to happen to her does this mean he can get custody? She states it is for insurance purposes and so he can pick the children up from school. She has in the past tried to get him to sign over his rights so her then husband could adopt them and he refused. My problem he never gets to see his children, any contact he has with them has been under her terms and in the last 4 yrs she let them contact him once. She put a restraining order on him the first time he said he wouldn't sign off on his rights and we didn't even know until a yr later( at the time we were living in another state) We don't have money to get a lawyer my husband does owe back child support but he pays on it regularly now. I am at a lost of what to do. He wants to be a part of his childrens life but it just doesn't seem possible.

Neal1421

LM1026 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

My husband's ex wants him to sign over legal guardianship to her new boyfriend. Is this the same as signing over his parental rights? If something were to happen to her does this mean he can get custody? She states it is for insurance purposes and so he can pick the children up from school. She has in the past tried to get him to sign over his rights so her then husband could adopt them and he refused. My problem he never gets to see his children, any contact he has with them has been under her terms and in the last 4 yrs she let them contact him once. She put a restraining order on him the first time he said he wouldn't sign off on his rights and we didn't even know until a yr later( at the time we were living in another state) We don't have money to get a lawyer my husband does owe back child support but he pays on it regularly now. I am at a lost of what to do. He wants to be a part of his childrens life but it just doesn't seem possible.

First, does he have court ordered visitation? If so, he can see his children. She is in contempt of court if she is denying him court ordered visitation and he should file contempt of court charges against her.

Wait on others to chime in about the guardianship/parental rights info. I am not too sure about that and don't want to give you the wrong info.

bononos

By the way, typicall her BOYFRIEND CANNOT adopt the child, her HUSBAND could eventually with consent of Dad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">