• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Obligations when marrying someone with child support issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

salsakim1220

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

I will be marrying a man this year that is dealing with child support payments with the former wife. We live in Va but he was married and divorced in the state of Ohio. All children are adults (in their 20's) now. He has been paying child support since the divorce. Former spouse is stating that she is still owed money. He did not have an order of child support for 3 years following divorce. However, he did pay her monthly. She states this did not occur but he has all cancelled checks as well as well as proof of support from 1990-present when support was ordered by the courts. My question is when we marry can my home, paycheck, or any of my assets be "attached" for money in any way? Do you recommend seperate checking and savings accounts until this matter is settled? Thank You.

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

No they can't "attach" anything that is solely in your name. Yes it is a good idea to keep everything separate until his CS obligation is finished.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">