• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal term definition needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jj39

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

What does "notification to parties of contemplation dismissal" mean?

I apologize if this doesn't go here but I received this in the mail from the courts and it had my name and my ex's so I assume it has to do with the custody and support modification I've been filing for.

I didn't understand a single word in the letter but if you need more info, I'll try to type it out for you.

Thank you, in advance!!

jj39

Also

I was just released from 4 years of probation. Is it possible it has to do with that? In which case, I definitely apologize for being in the wrong forum.

garrula lingua

It sounds as though the Court is advising you that your Motion to Modify Support and Custody is going to be dismissed.
Either there was a defect in the Pleading, or you never provided proof of service on your Ex, or you never set a hearing date or simply failed to proceed.
In some jurisdictions, it's called a dismissal, or dwop (dismiss without prejudice), meaning you can refile (go back to square one).

Make sure this is from family court (check the case number - it should be the same as assigned your Motion to Modify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">