• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legally custodial parent-custody never legally chgd

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jazmine74

I'm custodial but father has her--help me...

My daughter is living w/ her father and has been 3 yrs. I let her go willingly b/c at the time I thought she would be better off w/ him until I got on my feet. He has made me jump through hoops to get her back, I got on my feet, now remarried, stable & working. He still will not let her come back. I have sole physical custody and have NEVER had it changed. Do I have the right to bring her to live w/ me legally? I won't get in any trouble will I? Please help me---I am so confused.

L

LadyBlu

Re: I'm custodial but father has her--help me...

Jazmine74 said:
My daughter is living w/ her father and has been 3 yrs. I let her go willingly b/c at the time I thought she would be better off w/ him until I got on my feet. He has made me jump through hoops to get her back, I got on my feet, now remarried, stable & working. He still will not let her come back. I have sole physical custody and have NEVER had it changed. Do I have the right to bring her to live w/ me legally? I won't get in any trouble will I? Please help me---I am so confused.
Yopu failed to mention what state you are in. But regaredless, if you still have sole custody you can take your child home with you, but.. the father will then petition the courts most likely for sole custody and with him having had her for the past 3 Yrs, he will have cause to change the sole custody to his favor.

So you may want to reconsider at this point what is best for the child. Is she doing well with her father? No Abuse, she is thriving... etc.. if that is the case you really need to consider the harm it would be doing to remove her from the father.

J

Jazmine74

To LadyBlu

Well, she lives in NC. I live in VA. She is obviously not thriving, b/c she is very tiny, very pale, weak, brittle bones, and has classic signs of malnourishment. She is having some emotional problems and is sad A LOT (mopey). I feel she gets little personal attention & her father started his own business & is gone A LOT!!! How do I know if it's right? Do I take her to a dr. here when she is with me and have her checked out to document it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">