• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Letter of consent to take son out of country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

techguyscv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm divorced from my ex-wife and I recently went with her to fill out the paperwork to get my 2 year old son a passport. I'm getting a weird feeling about the whole thing and don't want her to take him out of the country. If I don't give her a letter of consent to take my son, is she still able to go or will they stop her from leaving?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I'm divorced from my ex-wife and I recently went with her to fill out the paperwork to get my 2 year old son a passport. I'm getting a weird feeling about the whole thing and don't want her to take him out of the country. If I don't give her a letter of consent to take my son, is she still able to go or will they stop her from leaving?
Nobody will stop her from leaving...the problem may arise depending on the country they're traveling to. Be careful though...if you don't really have a good reason, expect that she will head to court to request an order that bypasses the requirement for your to give permission. "weird feelings" are NOT a good reason in court.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
To expand on what Zigner said, "weird feelings" is not a legally valid reason.

What *might* be valid are the causes for the "weird feelings".
For example, if you ex is a foreign national, has no ties to in the US other than her child, and her home country is not a Hague Convention country, then you might have a valid reason to worry...

But you only cited "weird feelings".

If your ex is a US citizen and she thinks London would be a great place to visit for a week because your son loves Paddington Bear, you're going to come across as unreasonable.

CJane

The time to decide you were having "weird feelings" was BEFORE you signed off on the passport, not after.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">