• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Limited time to act - ohio custody question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eljefe98

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Goal: transfer custody or power of attorney to a realitive who in a resident of another state but is currently stationed in Germany (has been for 2+ years) so the child can go to Germany for 1 year to study/go to school.

our situation, my girlfriend wants to send her daughter to germany for 1 year to go to school/travel/etc.. her brother is in the special forces and is married with 2 children. his wife and children live in germany with him. she will stay with them. (blood realitive) My girlfriends daughter is 11 years old.

the magistrate here said that according to ohio law we have to file the paperwork in the state where her brother is a resident. he is stateside only until this friday. the judge was willing to hear our case this friday, but if we can't file.. that's not going to happen. we have all the forms and documents signed and notarized that need to be if he was a resident in this state.

is there anyway around going to another state to accomplish this? are there any other ways that we should approach this? he just needs guardianship so they can enroll her in school, give medical treatment, etc..

i have an attorney on call here that I can have file any motions/paperwork but she's at a loss for options. just looking for second opinions.

thanks,
joey
[email protected]

eljefe98

he has signed the paperwork as required by law. we did this when we got all the forms filled out and notorized.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">