• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living will - I want custody to go to grandparents, not father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daya

What is the name of your state? Virginia

After a recent scare on a plane I realized that, should I die my daughter's father would most likely gain custody of our daughter. We have never been married, although she has his last name. I have custody of her, he sees her on the weekends.

However, should I die, I do not want him to raise my daughter. Unfortunately I don't have any hard evidence of why this would not be in the best interest of my daughter, other than the fact that he is not very responsibile and he was raised in a physically and verbally abusive home. It just boils down to us having different morals, education, parenting stlyes, and overall genuine love for our child. We are both in our 30's.

I was wondering if I were to create a living will requesting custody to go to my mom and dad, or my sister and her husband, if that would uphold in court. I am assuming he would fight them if it came down to this, but it's something I need to think about.

Does a judge take into consideration who the child (she is four now) prefers to live with, or what would be in the best interest of the child? (I know for a fact that she would prefer to live with my parents, or my sister's family.) Or would the father automatically recieve custody?

The father is currently (and most likely will always be) living with his father. It is not an environment for a child, as there are frequent parties, etc. His mother also lives near by, however that is not a safe environment either, as she is an alcoholic.

All of my family lives in Florida, so obviously my duaghter would have to move away from her father if an event like this were to happen.

Please advice me if a living will would be sufficient to handle a custody request like this, or if there is something that would be more efficient to use.

Thanks

nextwife

Four year olds DON'T DECIDE. They don't decide to stay up to midnight, to skip Sunday School, to have ice cream for dinner, or where they WANT to live.

You chose to make a child with this man and to raise and parent this child who is half his child. You can't undecide after the fact. You and he are each the child's parent. YOU do not get to usurp his parental rights.

Children cannot be "willed".

seniorjudge

After a recent scare on a plane I realized that, should I die my daughter's father would most likely gain custody of our daughter.

Correct.

I was wondering if I were to create a living will requesting custody to go to my mom and dad, or my sister and her husband, if that would uphold in court. I am assuming he would fight them if it came down to this, but it's something I need to think about.

Human beings can no longer be willed in this country; it went out with the abolition of slavery.

Does a judge take into consideration who the child (she is four now) prefers to live with, or what would be in the best interest of the child? (I know for a fact that she would prefer to live with my parents, or my sister's family.) Or would the father automatically recieve custody?

There is nothing automatic in the law; but the child's father would most likely get custody.

By the way, the term "living will" is a newspaper term that is essentially meaningless. But what most people mean by that is a healthcare power of attorney which has nothing to do with custody.

Silverplum

Nextwife is correct. DAD has inherent, constitutional rights to parent his child. (So is the Judge -- of course!)

On the other hand, congratulations on being the very first to think of this novel way to exclude the child's father from parenthood! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fairisfair

Nextwife is correct. DAD has inherent, constitutional rights to parent his child.

On the other hand, congratulations on being the very first to think of this novel way to exclude the child's father from parenthood! :rolleyes:
what's that? dying??? sorry I just couldn't help myself. :p ;) :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">