• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Distance Parenting Plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Well, its come to pass, my ex got his orders to the east coast to a unit that deploys a lot. I told the kids last night and this morning. Which on the surface it didn't seem to affect them too much. Their Dad has deployed many times in their lives, so him being gone is not a new thing to them.

I have drawn up a parenting plan that in a nutshell says:
1. Kids are with dad for Thanksgiving on even years, mom on odd years.
2. Kids are with dad from Christmas break starts til Christmas Day and mom from Christmas Day til back to school on even years, vice versa on odd years.
3. Summers kids will go to dad's for from 15-45 days as agreed upon. (I would like to put in here that dd #1 will be enrolled in a gymnastics program while in dad's care if she is there for longer than 2 wks, she is a competitive gymnast and does not want to loose her skills. Dad is completely against this. He does not support her doing gymnastics at all.)
4. Spring Break: Kids will go visit dad.
5. If dad is deployed on any of visitations, it will be cancelled and both parents will do their best to make up that time.
6. Summer school has priority over visitation if child is in danger of being held back.

What I have not put in is the cost of the transportation. To fly 4 kids from here to the east coast we are looking at over 1200 dollars each time they go. I cannot afford to pay that, even paying half would be pushing it. How do you base cost responsibility?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Have you looked up "long-distance parenting plan" for California?

Different state, but long distance plan:

One school year, dad gets Thanksgiving holiday and Spring Break.
The next school year, dad gets Christmas holiday in its entirety.
Half the summer
I have a split on transportation costs but only cuz I have a great lawyer and dad went pro se. Generally, the moving parent picks up the costs. I argued that it costs $$ for weekly exchanges anyway, so it just amounted to paying those costs a few times a year.

What I would have added: flights no earlier than xx:xx and flights arriving no later than xx:xx. I have dumb-dumb who thinks that my daughter should arrive in the airport at 12:20 am and in bed at 2:30 am on a school night.

You should include some form of virtual parenting time that works BOTH ways so that both parents can maintain contact with the children.

As for the gymnastics, what if dad must sign up BUT YOU pay the costs up to xx dollars.

Now, as for summer school, if my daughter would have to go, I would make sure that DAD signs her up and she go when with dad.

PS - I was CP who moved long-distance with child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">