• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

long-distance visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter and I live in Colorado. My daughter's biological father lives in Tennessee.

Anyone know of any good sites or places to find suggestions on how to do a parenting plan (in regards to an actual visitation schedule) when the parents live so far apart and one parent pretty much has no relationship to the child (but eagerly wants to do so).

My daughter is an only child (between her two biological parents) and she is almost 22 months old and only used to being with myself (her mother). Her biological father and myself live 1314 miles apart.

I've been researching all night and have gotten many wonderful ideas as to what to include in our parenting plan, but I haven't really found much in regards to "visitiation".

My daughter briefly spent a small amount of time with her biological father (which did NOT go well at all). I am just trying to figure out how to make the best of this situation. Her biological father and myself were never married (just a fling).

Also, in case it matters, yes, Colorado has jurisdiction and NOT Tennessee.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
At 22 months old she is still young -- please drop the biological from the description. He is dad. What you need to do is arrange shorter visits and realize that within a few years she will be spending weeks with her dad and weeks with you.

LdiJ

My daughter and I live in Colorado. My daughter's biological father lives in Tennessee.

Anyone know of any good sites or places to find suggestions on how to do a parenting plan (in regards to an actual visitation schedule) when the parents live so far apart and one parent pretty much has no relationship to the child (but eagerly wants to do so).

My daughter is an only child (between her two biological parents) and she is almost 22 months old and only used to being with myself (her mother). Her biological father and myself live 1314 miles apart.

I've been researching all night and have gotten many wonderful ideas as to what to include in our parenting plan, but I haven't really found much in regards to "visitiation".

My daughter briefly spent a small amount of time with her biological father (which did NOT go well at all). I am just trying to figure out how to make the best of this situation. Her biological father and myself were never married (just a fling).

Also, in case it matters, yes, Colorado has jurisdiction and NOT Tennessee.
The best bet, to start out with, would be for dad to visit in your community as often as is reasonably possible. He can visit with the child in your home to start out, and once she becomes comfortable with him he could start having her at a hotel (or with family or friends if he has any in the area) for a while until she is comfortable being alone with him.

Then, once that happens, he could start having her in his home for a week or so at a time...maybe as often as once a month. If he follows that consistantly, then by the time she starts school, he should be able to have her for every other major holiday/school break and anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 of the summer.

Of course, finances are going to dictate how alot of this goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">