• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lose custody for adultery?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LP0621

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
If I cheated on my wife and got another woman pregnant, can she leave the state with my kids and refuse visitation? I want a divorce and to be with the other woman but want to still be in my kids lives. My wife says she will never allow that and I will never get to see my kids.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If I cheated on my wife and got another woman pregnant, can she leave the state with my kids and refuse visitation? I want a divorce and to be with the other woman but want to still be in my kids lives. My wife says she will never allow that and I will never get to see my kids.
Yes your wife can leave the state and refuse to allow you to see them. Why did you screw around? Why didn't you divorce your wife before getting another woman pregnant? Does the other woman have a criminal background? When did your wife leave the state? Where does she live now? Who was the primary caregiver of the children -- you or her?

Can you name your children's teachers? Friends? Favorite television programs? Doctors? How many appointments have you attended for your childen? Your wife may be able to prevent the children from being in the presence of your adulterous lover until the divorce is over. She may even be able to get an order prohibiting them from being in the home if you are just shacked up with her.

If you had to choose between your new bed buddy and your children, who would you choose? Is your bed buddy married currently?

mistoffolees

Legally, you have a right to be in your children's lives.

File for divorce, ask for the court to assign custody and a parenting plan. Depending on the answers to OG's questions, that will vary from you having primary custody and Mom getting visitation to Mom having primary custody and you getting visitation. Ultimately, though, you need to file for your rights.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh and OP, if your lady will screw around with you while you are married to someone else, expect her to screw around ON YOU if you marry her. Of course she should expect you to screw others as well. Why? Because tigers can't change their stripes.

Eaglesfan804

Yes your wife can leave the state and refuse to allow you to see them. Why did you screw around? Why didn't you divorce your wife before getting another woman pregnant? Does the other woman have a criminal background? When did your wife leave the state? Where does she live now? Who was the primary caregiver of the children -- you or her?

Can you name your children's teachers? Friends? Favorite television programs? Doctors? How many appointments have you attended for your childen? Your wife may be able to prevent the children from being in the presence of your adulterous lover until the divorce is over. She may even be able to get an order prohibiting them from being in the home if you are just shacked up with her.

If you had to choose between your new bed buddy and your children, who would you choose? Is your bed buddy married currently?
You really sound like this has happened to you too

You really sound like this has happened to you too
OG's questions and post were what most attorneys I know would ask OP face-to-face at an initial meeting. Good attorneys anyway. Questions designed to get a good picture of OP's current involvement, his plans, and his relationship with his children. Tells me she has skills as an attorney - and I don't even know her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">