• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost job and cannot pay child support please help with procedure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ellencee

I don't think I'd be knocking on the court's door saying 'look at me, I'm unemployed and receiving unemployment benefits' and 'how about lowering that support even though I'm still in arrearage'.

I think it would be like painting a bull's eye on yourself and standing next to the fake human targets on the shooting range.

If you currently have a relationship with your child and see your child, the court will not be amused that the wife tried to buy your child from you or blackmail you into giving up the relationship with your child. It is the child's right to have a relationship with you and it is not within the mother's right to try and destroy the relationship.

You may have to become very creative in order to be employed. You may have to cut lawns, paint houses, sit with the elderly, etc.

You don't say if your wife works or if it is possible for her to earn some income to keep a roof over your head while you are unemployed.

Although the mother and a court may only seem interested in your paycheck, the child is interested in you, the only natural father the child has or will ever have. You may can explain why dad now lives in a really tiny place, but you will never be able to explain to the child why dad sold out.

If it allowed you to prevent your relationship with your child from being taken away, I hope you would be willing to spend weekends in jail or a month or two in jail or live in a cardboard box.

I don't like it when it seems one parent is selling the children to the other parent in order to avoid support, and I surely don't like it when it seems one parent is using child support to blackmail the other parent into forfeiting a relationship with one's own children.

S

sunsneak

hello...

please note that I am more than likely not going to receive unemployment benefits....

I shall perish by the first of this month without work....I hope that I do find work by then....ill do anything even sell my body if it comes down to it unfortunately :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">