• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Louisiana/Inheritance of custodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dogmom30

Hi,

My husband has a 9 yr old son with a woman he wasn't married to. She up and moved to Florida with the son and only gave us 2 weeks notice. Her parents won the Florida lottery and netted about $4 million. They have bought her a house and she is not employed. She claims that she works with her live-in boyfriend who owns a carpet laying business, but she hasn't kept a steady job in years and doubt that she is working at all. She is now wanting us to increase the child support we have been paying. One of her reasons is due to after school child care expenses. I can't imagine why he would need day care if she's not working.

Could any inheritance that she might get be considered in calculating the new child support? And would they consider child care payments into the calculation if she isn't working?

Thanks for any help!

D

daniel123456

lottery

nope,they will not recognize someone elses winnings as her income.an inheritance issue cannot be an issue until the person has died,unless you can prove that she is receiving monies,and or real properties in living trust,or full access to the money,although you can also ask for a modification of child-support,to have it reduced,if you can give substantial proof to a judge,that she has received property,and income from another source,you can ask based on the fact that her parents won 4,000,000 in a lottery,and she has a new house,for a supeona,from the court,to find whether or not her home is paid for,and any amounts of monies that she has received,as it is required that both parties report any changes of income to the child-support agencies.i am not an attorney,as laws vary,from state,to state,you should consult with one in your area,good-luck,friends.

Ambr

how long has she been gone? he could contest the relocation. he was not given proper notice. a judge could force the return of the child to LA.

of course, she is going to have all the money in the world to fight you.

D

dogmom30

lottery

Thanks for the replies! She has been gone about a year. At the time she left, we were so shocked that they were moving, we didn't know what to do. We didn't know at the time that he had the option of trying to stop her. She wasn't even going to tell us. My mother-in-law just happened to be talking to her (the custodial mother) grandmother and she mentioned it in passing. The grandmother didn't know they hadn't told us either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">