• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Louisiana Mom with question (s)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tina62260

I have a 5 yr old daughter with a father (my ex-husband) that just will not pay child support. He has been in and out of jail all of her life. I was awarded Full Custody, No visitation, and child support. He is in arrears over $8,000. I just called my divorce attorney to take him back to court. He is out of jail and working and my attorney says that he does not do those type cases anymore. I make to much money to get Government assistance to get the state involved. (but, not enough to not need his support for our daughter) I feel so stuck...Does anybody have any suggestions? It eats me up like a cancer that he is so free and I am carrying his responsibilities. Thank you in advance for any input.

J

july_child

I don't know your whole situation but if you're able to manage without the child support, I would just leave it alone. If you go after him again for child support he may petition for visitation and that will be another headache. I assume you already have a child support order in place so his arrears will keep piling up and eventually he will get in trouble for that. If you need the support I'm sure you can contact the child support enforcement agency and they will go after him. Good luck!

tigger22472

In part the last post is correct. You have already gotten visitation taken away so I wouldn't worry about him coming after you. Contact you local prosecuters office. Is CS supposed to becoming directly out of his check? At any rate contact the prosecuters office in the child support division to see about opening up a case. The county where my order in charges $25(and yes I do find that stupid) if you are not receiving any kind of govt. assistance. At any rate it may take you a few months to get in and you will have to give them ALL information including where he works, where he lives, EVERYTHING. If you keep on them they might keep after him then again they might not. I'm much in your situation and I go to court April 3rd and my ex will be 12,000 behind. I personally am not going after him anymore after this. You will learn very very quickly that sometimes it just simply causes you more stress then it's worth and in the end if you are stressing you are doing your child a disservice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">