• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lying on Court documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

I'd like to clarify for some of the junior members in regards to the words in caps. For the purpose of emphasizing important terminology, for emphasizing and stressing points within a response. THEY ARE NOT MEANT TO DEMEAN. They are not meant to yell (with some exceptions, but this is NOT the rule). It is far better to be shocked at responses here, than floored in court when you, your ex, your bf, gf, husband, etc gets slapped verbally for the slips we're (generalities here) trying to get you to understand.

OG, while blunt almost to a fault, can sometimes come across as mean and caloused, if you stick around here, you'll find that she not only is a GAL, an attorney in the state of Ohio, volunteers her time her. That doesn't scream caloused and insensative to me. :)

I'd like to add my personal thank you to all of the seniors who spend time here helping other people, trying to sort through all of the gramatical errors, poorly written posts, run on sentences and the like. I know I've learned a lot and continue to do so.

End hijack.

Thank you, should_I_ask, for clarification on the caps. Although it was nice of you to defend OG, her "real-life" resume doesn't interest me after the abuse I have received from her. I have found that the relative anonymity of the internet allows people to be more free in what they say and the way they say it, generally in a negative way. That's why I try not to use forums much, because people allow their inner bully to run free and no one can stop them. I seriously doubt I'll be back here after today.

OG, You can be assured that nothing that I say or do will cause my husband to lose custody. I know my "place" in this scenario and I am extremely careful not to overstep my bounds. I am far from stupid and I do understand that LEGALLY he is not my son. What you don't get is that in my mind and in my heart, he is my son and he will be forever. I wish all step-parents felt toward their step-children the way I feel about mine. There would be a lot less heartache.

Proserpina

I was asking on behalf of my husband, who I stand behind and help whenever I can. I have never submitted anything to Court nor have I spoken during any Court proceedings and don't plan to unless asked by the Judge. All research and paperwork I have done was shown to my husband and then went to our attorney in the past. After paying $17000 (yes that's thousand, not hundred, which is alot for a couple who makes less than 50 grand a year and have 2 kids in the home) on our lawyer the first time around, we need to do this one on our own if possible or we will go bankrupt and lose our home. You're right, I didn't read the sticky until after I posted the question, I didn't notice it until after. If I had read it first I may not have asked a question at all because your sticky shows, as did some of the answers to me, just how nasty you are to step-parents. Most of us know we don't have any legal rights, but that doesn't mean we can't ask questions, does it?
Please re-read what has been written. I'm fairly certain that you do NOT want to hurt your husband's current custody and/or visitation rights, correct?

A third party asking questions can be difficult to answer; they are rarely in possession of all the relevant facts. But they ask, and they're usually answered. Asking questions is not a bad thing - but trying to take over the role of Mom or Dad when the child already has one of each CAN be a bad thing...it can, and has, resulted in step-parent's spouse LOSING custody. Both Mom & Dad are allowed to be crappy parents and they absolutely do not have to agree with the way the other is doing things.

You're NOT Mom - you're absolutely a maternal figure in the child's life but you're not Mom and he's not your son. In matters of the heart? Oh absolutely. But not in legal matters. It's been said here quite a few times that as a step-parent your role is to love 'em, nurture 'em and know when to keep your mouth shut. It really is that simple.

Proserpina

Thank you, should_I_ask, for clarification on the caps. Although it was nice of you to defend OG, her "real-life" resume doesn't interest me after the abuse I have received from her. I have found that the relative anonymity of the internet allows people to be more free in what they say and the way they say it, generally in a negative way. That's why I try not to use forums much, because people allow their inner bully to run free and no one can stop them. I seriously doubt I'll be back here after today.

OG, You can be assured that nothing that I say or do will cause my husband to lose custody. I know my "place" in this scenario and I am extremely careful not to overstep my bounds. I am far from stupid and I do understand that LEGALLY he is not my son. What you don't get is that in my mind and in my heart, he is my son and he will be forever. I wish all step-parents felt toward their step-children the way I feel about mine. There would be a lot less heartache.
Don't assume that none of us are step-parents or that we don't (literally) worship the ground upon which our step-children place their muddy shoes. Some of us have had to learn the hard way when to step back though - perhaps that's the difference.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

I don't need to defend OG, she's quite capable. As far as the 'abuse' portion of it, gentler language has a way of coming across as a suggestion rather than tried and true experience. Try looking at this from the MOTHERS perspective. YOU are NOT his MOTHER. You are free to love him as much or more than you love anything or anyone else. BUT SHE is STILL his MOTHER! You weren't there when the act was happening, you didn't give birth. Seriously, I've been in your place as the step-parent. If I knew now what I knew then, I would have slapped the crap out of myself. Seriously.

maryjo

So here is a thought. Put that house up for sale and go pay a lawyer to pat your hand and offer you tissues where you will then get the SAME adivce offered free to you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">